Technical Quick question.

Currently reading:
Technical Quick question.

Ieen

Just popped round to the bank and upon firing the Stilo up I noticed there was a knocking sound.

That's the only time a knocking sound is present - on fire up.

Could be nothing, but I'd rather not have a repeat episode as to what happened on my Punto - but that's a different story!

Just popped round to the bank and upon firing the Stilo up I noticed there was a knocking sound.

That's the only time a knocking sound is present - on fire up.

Could be nothing, but I'd rather not have a repeat episode as to what happened on my Punto - but that's a different story!

Age, mileage, Service history, engine type / size, deep or light knock, fast knock or slow/rythmic?

Mileage: 34,000
Service History: Full (last at 28,000 miles)
Engine type: 1.6 Petrol

It sounded rather deep and was quite fast as it was over in seconds.

OK so a deep short period rattle. Bottom end sounding. Presumably the oil level is correct (closer to Max than Min) and the oil is the correct grade? Mileage is super low for the age... if you haven't owned it from new might it have been clocked? Could just be something knocking like the exhaust though on initial start up so I'd definitely check for that first, just grab the tail-pipe & shake it hard from side to side (+hope it doesnt come off in your hand) :eek:

If you hear the knock investigate underneath, if not, then have someone else start the car while you have your head under he bonnet, keep a tie well out of there! Try to establish an approximate area the knock is coming from, left or right, top or bottom of the engine.

The mileage hasn't been clocked as I have all previous MOT certificates with mileage printed upon.

Oil levels are fine once again and I am using 10W40 as I read in the handbook. Like you say it could actually be the exhaust thinking about it - I will check this out tomorrow morning as I will need to move the car from its current position to look at that.

I'm hoping its going to be that as I would prefer it not be of something under the bonnet as my parents really didn't want me to buy a Stilo after reading some horror stories - haha.

Plus, if it is the exhaust - then I can get a new and better one put on and would justify me spending some money on the said item :D

Parents eh... I bet they could have told you what used car to get that wouldnt ever go wrong & would also be cheap & good looking...:rolleyes:

The parents wanted me to buy a Ford as that's what everyone else owns in the household until I passed my test and got a Fiat and then my brother got an Audi.

Yes, parents are just pathetic sometimes.

The parents wanted me to buy a Ford as that's what everyone else owns in the household until I passed my test and got a Fiat and then my brother got an Audi.

Yes, parents are just pathetic sometimes.

I remember that time... haha.

My whole family's got Ford aswell. Even relatives far out. My uncle is a garage manager for Ford and he has pushed Ford on everyone.

Then both me and my brother got Fiats. Haha.

Back