Technical Quick favour needed from Sei Sporting owners...

Currently reading:
Technical Quick favour needed from Sei Sporting owners...

Hallsy200sx

..could someone check what speed and RPM they have comapred to my gf's so I can work out how far out from the norm it is.
Roughly, in 4th @ 2000RPM the speedo reads 40mph
in 5th @ 2000RPM speedo reads 48mph, and @3000RPM it reads 70mph.

I'm reckoning on this being about 10mph out, but would be great if someone could compare for me.

It's a 98 with the 14" abarth wheels.

Cheers.

yeah, I reckon it's out by about 10mph. When the gf first bought it she fasiled to notice that the speedo was out by as much as 20mph - she just thought it was really quick!!
Anyway, under warranty it had new speedo cluster, new cable, new wormdrive, but this made it only a little better, I think it's still out but she didn;t want to take it back again.
Just wanted to compare to others really.

The only sure fire way of determining how far a speedo is out is to use something like Arc has (can't remember what its called off the top of my head :eek:). Comparing it to another Sei isn't really comparable unless that Sei is known to have an accurate speedo - there's nothing to say that that Sei's speedo could be out as well.

I know they will all be slighty different, but if a few had a look for me I'd get a rough idea.
Best way is GPS, but then all cars over read a little as std.
I have a g-tech meter but not sure if that will show speed or not, maybe I should check!!

Hallsy200sx said:
I have a g-tech meter but not sure if that will show speed or not, maybe I should check!!

Now you mention it, I think that's what Arc has...................it may be best to check :)

chaos said:
The only sure fire way of determining how far a speedo is out is to use something like Arc has (can't remember what its called off the top of my head :eek:). Comparing it to another Sei isn't really comparable unless that Sei is known to have an accurate speedo - there's nothing to say that that Sei's speedo could be out as well.
no the best way to do it is measure it over set markings eg motorway markings and work out the indicated speed compared to actual speed over that distance.

cheers, but that would make it over reading as I said.

If yours is approaching 70 at 3500rpm, and my gf's is at 70 @ 3000rpm, then by the time hers has hit 3500rpm the speedo will most likely be reading around 80mph, so as I thought it is over reading by about 10 mph. Possibly only at higher speeds, as it's likely to be a percentage and so getting worse as the speed increases.

Not sure what causes it as it's had all new parts as mentioned. There is some noise which I think is speedo related, needle is jerky so maybe I should repalce cable again. I always wondered if the worng worm drive had been fitted in g/box.
The only other way I can think of correcting it is trying to pull needle off and re-fit further anti-clockwise on the splines. Anyone had the clocks apart before?

2001 sei sporting with 14''

Those figures sound about right. May be a slight under read for the 3000 at 70mph one. Im approaching 70mph at 3000-3500rpm. Nothing to be concerned about IMO

I dont think your speedo will be out by as much as 10mph as what you have suggested, and your GF was right to persevere and not take it back, i dont see as much of a problem as perhaps you fear.

I have GPS and my speedo is 5mph out.

HTH (y)

Hallsy200sx said:
cheers, but that would make it over reading as I said.

If yours is approaching 70 at 3500rpm, and my gf's is at 70 @ 3000rpm, then by the time hers has hit 3500rpm the speedo will most likely be reading around 80mph, so as I thought it is over reading by about 10 mph. Possibly only at higher speeds, as it's likely to be a percentage and so getting worse as the speed increases.

Not sure what causes it as it's had all new parts as mentioned. There is some noise which I think is speedo related, needle is jerky so maybe I should repalce cable again. I always wondered if the worng worm drive had been fitted in g/box.
The only other way I can think of correcting it is trying to pull needle off and re-fit further anti-clockwise on the splines. Anyone had the clocks apart before?

Ive now rephrased and reworded my original answer.

You may have a problem with the clocks, some are cable driven speedos, while others are electronic speedos, a couple of members have had a lot of trouble when replacing clocks, they are a bit of a ****!

They are also one whole unit IIRC so if the plastic surround breaks then you are stuffed

If this is the route you wish to take i suggest you buy a spare as back up and purchase the correct one. Being a 1998 i would assume it is cable driven, but dont qoute me on that

Last edited:
OK cheers guys, not 100% on tyre size, I know they are std 14" size and are quite a rare size as they are bloddy expensive.
I'll levae the clocks if they don;t sound too far out. Slight rattley noise from dash and fluttery needle, so may well repalce the cable as a matter of course. 99% sure it's cable driven.

custard boy said:
no the best way to do it is measure it over set markings eg motorway markings and work out the indicated speed compared to actual speed over that distance.

As long as you know the exact distances between said markings :) Otherwise there's still a fairly large margin of error :)

Hallsy200sx said:
OK cheers guys, not 100% on tyre size, I know they are std 14" size and are quite a rare size as they are bloddy expensive.

Will say on side of tyre wat size they are :)

Hallsy200sx said:
I'll levae the clocks if they don;t sound too far out. Slight rattley noise from dash and fluttery needle, so may well repalce the cable as a matter of course. 99% sure it's cable driven.

When did you last have your tyres tracked and balanced? The rattle from the dash could be in fact your tyres due to uneven tyre wear

Yeah - I know tyre width & profile is on the side ;) Just can't remmeber off hand. It's been tracked fairly recently but she may have knocked the off kerb herre & there. I drove it today and it was perfectly straight, slight vibration from wheel at around 80mph, but nothing like my own car (pretty sure wheels are out of balance onmy car, also alignment is definately out since I lowered it!!)

Hallsy200sx said:
I drove it today and it was perfectly straight, slight vibration from wheel at around 80mph, but nothing like my own car (pretty sure wheels are out of balance onmy car, also alignment is definately out since I lowered it!!)

I also get a bit of vibration circa 80mph but i do needa re-balance and tracking sorted again

I would get that done again and see if there is any improvement

Back