General Question on wheel nuts and wheels.. Punto 2014

Currently reading:
General Question on wheel nuts and wheels.. Punto 2014

Intergalactic Ow Ow

Hi Guys,

So, 2014 Punto has locking nuts on the wheels and no key. Does anyone know if the keys are the same across all Puntos of that age? Appreciate that they may not be officially but sometimes these things turn out to be, for example if you buy an it an aftermarket ignition barrel for a 2001 / 2002 Micra then you know have a master key to get into everyone's Micra that age!

Anyway, my plan was if the locking key is the same just to grab a 2nd hand one off ebay or maybe borrow one and just remove the locking nuts and put in regular bolts.

My other question is regarding spare wheel compatibility. I really want to have a spare wheel but not fussed about it having to match the existing alloys or anything, am I restricted to just punto wheels or would something like a corsa or something rims fit?

Appreciate the help as always.
Thanks

I just did a quick little check and there are some similar to mine however there are a quite a few others out there claiming to be from a Punto. You can take a photo of the bolt in question, get home and find one that matches however it’s not guaranteed you’d find the exact one as there can be several variations of one type. Maybe try local garages or tyre shops. Also worth checking through all the handbooks, paperwork etc in case there’s a card for the bolt code. If none of these work then removing them is usually destructive. There are some older forum posts regarding this issue so may be worth a read ;)

As for the spare, my Evo doesn’t have one either and I’m on the hunt for one as well :(. Space savers from other cars can work but make sure the overall size is as close as possible to your existing wheels. I’ve had issues in the past where it upsets the ABS system if the wheel’s size is different from the rest.

If you’re looking for a full size spare then you’d need to make sure the wheel you’re buying is the correct size and correct fitment. Find out what specs your existing wheels have and you can find a match. This site should help https://www.wheel-size.com/size/fiat/punto/2014/

I must also add, wheels with different specs can and do work especially considering it’s a spare but I personally think it’s best to just go with what the car has from factory.

All the best!

Edit: A trip to the dealer may resolve your security bolt issue however I’m not exactly sure about this, may be worthwhile checking with them.

Last edited:
Hi

Have a REALLY good look around the car for one of these Black Boxes.

If you had a spare wheel it would probably be in with that ;)

A steel Grande wheel will go in there..and quite cheap

I bought a used alloy for £65.. it fits in the boots 'well' fine.. but I find laying it in there
'Shiny side up' makes life easier :)

Where are you based?

I have access to a few sets of the keys

Attachments

• 20180401_132546 (1).jpg
    20180401_132546 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks both for the advice. I have no hand books etc - very little actually as it was a Cat N and aside from a nice receipt from last year for a full major service, cambelt and water pump the rest has gone walkies though I know it was originally sold at (Fiat Dealership in Birmingham) and they have been able to give me some copies of more service history - perhaps they could tell me the code of the locking nuts?

In the boot there is no spare, just a big plastic 'thing' in its place with spaces for (missing) tools. I have not unbolted it from the chamber yet though.. Guess there is a small chance of a set being under there.. I have looked everywhere else that I can see in there, really was nothing anywhere to be found.

The nuts don't look damaged and it has 4 brand new tyres on it so they could be under there - or in someone's coat pocket, kitchen drawer etc!

Hi

Have a REALLY good look around the car for one of these Black Boxes.

If you had a spare wheel it would probably be in with that ;)

A steel Grande wheel will go in there..and quite cheap

I bought a used alloy for £65.. it fits in the boots 'well' fine.. but I find laying it in there
'Shiny side up' makes life easier :)

Where are you based?

I have access to a few sets of the keys

I'm based in Wirral if that's any good?

I'm passing a scrappie today, might nip in and see what they have. Yes I am keen to get either the matching alloy or official steel counterpart - did this with my own car, really not a fan of space savers. They do the job yes but I really prefer the convenience of if the spare is required I can just put it on, go to the tyre shop and put a new tyre on the other and put it straight in the boot rather than on off on off with the space saver.

Not having a spare at all with the Punto is certainly not what we want - not with RAC waiting times in the winter!

Well luckily after removing that plastic tray thingy from the wheel well the locking key was loose underneath that so that's sorted now. Just grabbed a matching alloy complete with tyre off ebay too £35 delivered. Just need to acquire a wheel brace now as seems the nuts are even smaller than the old Micra.

Nearly there!

Thanks for the responses

17MM HEX for the bolts

I find the chromed telescopic arm with a 1/2 drive square in the end is very useful

It comes with a reversable 17/19mm socket

And is pretty inexpensive :)

Saw these but just grabbed for £5.39 a four size set that has the right size on. Actually threw two of these out a couple of years ago from Astras we had but hey ho.

Back