Tuning Question about forged piston and race camshaft

Currently reading:
Tuning Question about forged piston and race camshaft

I was of thinking to get race camshaft and forged pistons up to 12,5:1 compression ratio on my Panda 100HP. If I do increase the compression ratio that I can not have the race camshaft because the valves will push further, and it will hit the new cylinder heads, is that correct?

I am not sure how many bhp gains for the race camshaft only and the forged piston head? I have done remapped 11bhp and full performance exhaust with an air filter. Few more bhp tuning will be pleased for me.

I was of thinking to get race camshaft and forged pistons up to 12,5:1 compression ratio on my Panda 100HP. If I do increase the compression ratio that I can not have the race camshaft because the valves will push further, and it will hit the new cylinder heads, is that correct?

I am not sure how many bhp gains for the race camshaft only and the forged piston head? I have done remapped 11bhp and full performance exhaust with an air filter. Few more bhp tuning will be pleased for me.

Surely the supplier can advise best on that, as it must depend on the height of the pistons and also any extra lift and profile of the race camshaft.
A company suppling a quality part will know exactly what is the best option and can give you their best advise.

For a reasonable cost I don't think anything can be gained from the 1.4 superfire and still be drivable

A 1.4 tjet and ECU fits and can be spliced in to work with the original body computer and dash

Or start with a diesel,. There's an easy upgrade 135ish bhp. Still drivable around town, still reliable. 158 bhp on the dyno is possible and enough to shorten the gearbox life

A race cam will be horrible on the road but great for a track day car. A turbo would be more fun.
Could you explain what is horrible on the road? Lose down torque but have to rev hard for power to deliver?

Others may advise better , but I would say a narrow power band, higher up the rev range and possibly a higher idle speed required to overcome uneven/lumpy low speed tick over.
Possibly putting more strain on the clutch needing to slip it slightly pulling away and if in traffic jams in low gears being unpleasant to drive.
Great for on the race track but less so around town.;)

I did a load of work on the Austin Mini 1275 (not much smaller) with a Dave Vizard spec five port head. Mine was never dyno tested but that spec could make 90 to 100bhp. Full race trim needed bigger valves, race cam and fancy carbs, but such a setup was almost unusable on the road as it's all top end with nothing useful where its needed for normal driving. In those days, there were no power-robbing catalyst and nobody bothered about black smelly smoke on acceleration.

Power to weight benefit with classic Mini 620kg v 980kg Panda approx. helps also.
Do you think he would benefit from a mild road cam as opposed to a full race one given the work he has already done Dave?

Power to weight benefit with classic Mini 620kg v 980kg Panda approx. helps also.
Do you think he would benefit from a mild road cam as opposed to a full race one given the work he has already done Dave?
No

Standard cars these days are well developed there's not much to gained easily, yes it a compromise between, power, emmisions, drivability, economy.

As an example the 1.2 8v 60hp decat full race exhaust back to back on the rolling road, I posted the original printout awhile back made absolutely no difference for most of the rev range. The few bhp at full revs and wide open throttle will absolutly not be felt. Would be several hundreds wasted in my opinion

Changing the cams £660 plus importing from Italy, reshiming, two hours on the rolling road , assuming someone can modify the Map. (the 100HP wasn't possible about 4 years ago) and so on soon Adds up and doesn't come cheap

If you like to tinker you need a car thats tunable

Cars that have there own race series have cheap parts of the shelve

Same for engines used in a race series

Cars that have been de tuned can be reversed. Several models are just the same car just sold with different Map installed

Back