General Qubo 1.3 Diesel - oil separator or Turbo?

Currently reading:
General Qubo 1.3 Diesel - oil separator or Turbo?

alanshep6

Hello.

My Qubo seems to be using a lot of oil. It's not leaking externally anywhere. Sometimes the exhaust does seem a bit blueish but not always. It's a high mileage engine with 192k miles.
I've unclipped the pipe that comes up to the air filter housing from the oil separator with the engine running. If I put my thumb over the end for a few seconds and then release it there is a bit of pressure but not that much. Is there any history of issues with the oil separator not allowing oil to return to the sump?

The other option of course is the turbo oil seals. Does anybody know how to diagnose this properly?

Thanks.

Hello.

My Qubo seems to be using a lot of oil. It's not leaking externally anywhere. Sometimes the exhaust does seem a bit blueish but not always. It's a high mileage engine with 192k miles.
I've unclipped the pipe that comes up to the air filter housing from the oil separator with the engine running. If I put my thumb over the end for a few seconds and then release it there is a bit of pressure but not that much. Is there any history of issues with the oil separator not allowing oil to return to the sump?

The other option of course is the turbo oil seals. Does anybody know how to diagnose this properly?

Thanks.
If you undo the pipe to the inlet manifold, after the turbo then start and either put a clean cloth or your hand in the air flow from the turbo whilst someone gives it a few revs, that should show if oil is getting past the turbo bearings/seal. If bad you may see oily deposits in the pipe anyway.
NOTE do not allow cloth or anything else to be sucked into the inlet manifold!!!
Running engine even for a few minutes like this may throw up a error code, this is usually easily deleted with a basic diagnostic tool.
If you suspect something more internal in the engine , then a "leak test" can confirm , but is more involved and means using garage type equipment, air compressor, adapters to fit either in place of the heater plugs or injectors.
I can advise if required on how do it, as I have done this many times in the past, but it is not just a simple DIY job.
It may well be piston/bore wear as 192k is a fair mileage for a small diesel engine.

If you undo the pipe to the inlet manifold, after the turbo then start and either put a clean cloth or your hand in the air flow from the turbo whilst someone gives it a few revs, that should show if oil is getting past the turbo bearings/seal. If bad you may see oily deposits in the pipe anyway.
NOTE do not allow cloth or anything else to be sucked into the inlet manifold!!!
Running engine even for a few minutes like this may throw up a error code, this is usually easily deleted with a basic diagnostic tool.
If you suspect something more internal in the engine , then a "leak test" can confirm , but is more involved and means using garage type equipment, air compressor, adapters to fit either in place of the heater plugs or injectors.
I can advise if required on how do it, as I have done this many times in the past, but it is not just a simple DIY job.
It may well be piston/bore wear as 192k is a fair mileage for a small diesel engine.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll try removing the turbo pipe as suggested. I was already considering buying a replacement turbocharger cartridge (about £100) on the basis that it's the only thing I can replace fairly easily (plus I've read horror stories about turbo leaks getting so bad that the engine runs on its own oil).
If it is just general wear, which it could be given the high mileage, then I'll probably just live with it for as long as I can.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll try removing the turbo pipe as suggested. I was already considering buying a replacement turbocharger cartridge (about £100) on the basis that it's the only thing I can replace fairly easily (plus I've read horror stories about turbo leaks getting so bad that the engine runs on its own oil).
If it is just general wear, which it could be given the high mileage, then I'll probably just live with it for as long as I can.
I fitted a cartridge to a 2010 1.6 Doblo multijet recently, that one was pretty obvious as you couldn't see behind you ;). The impeller spindle had a lot of movement in it. Also the inlet hose as I mentioned earlier about was spraying a strong oily mist into the engine. Unless you see that when testing I would hold off on the turbo cartridge, as there are a lot of cheap pattern ones around which are low quality!
From your mileage I suspect it is more fair wear and tear, so as long as it passes Mot emission tests I would be inclined to carry on if nothing conclusive re oil in inlet pipe. Mike

Back