Grande Punto Puzzled newbie looking for advice on possibly electrics! But don’t know!

Currently reading:
Grande Punto Puzzled newbie looking for advice on possibly electrics! But don’t know!

Fedupfiatgirl

Hi, I’m new and it’s a long first post, but I’ll try and keep it concise. Complete novice so excuse my terminology and ignorance and if you’re kind enough to respond with help, i’ll really need it in laymen terms! And I don’t know if separate issues or which might be connected, so I’m throwing it all out there, sorry!

2007 grande punto 1.9 td

Car had sub woofer installed direct to fuse box. This was then removed but I don’t think by disconnecting at fuse box.
Heater hasn’t worked fully since. On a 4 setting selector it will only work on 4 (full) and completely dead on 1, 2 and 3. Garage tried a new unit but it still didn’t work.

For the last 5 years problems have escalated.

EC showing fault - it’s had a terra clean and the valve “blown” cleaned out. These got the car through 2 MOT’s but then it immediately reverts.

Car will not start first time, will turn over for 30 secs or so then just shut off and has white fumes billowing from exhaust. 2 or 3 attempts and she fires up fine. In last 8 months she really doesn’t like Short town journeys. If stoped before engine reaches temp she just will not start again for up to half an hour. The temp gauge flies up to max when you try and turn her over. So a short 5 min trip to the shop, becomes a drive around town for 10/15 mins first!

Every warning light remains on. The ASR button will not turn off. The LED display has only been backlit now for 3 or 4 years. Only occasionally the screen will throw out random rubbish and stop again, when this happens I know there will be starting issues. It never happens while driving. The headlights won’t turn off now at switch (8 months), but do when ignition off and full beam still works ok.

Front brakes judder when applied, at any speed over approx 20mph. Feels a bit like abs kicking in. Started after brakes were last worked on. Anything to do with the ASR button staying on as mentioned above?

So she’s due MOT next month and I’m wondering if it’s worth it. Once she’s going she’s a great wee runner though, even with all the warning lights telling me different! Could some of the issues be wiring and fuses? If so who are best people to dx and fix. Garages so far just stick the computer in and if it says ec fault the only remedy is new or repaired ec valve. But what if it’s wiring faults causing wrong dx? Could faulty wiring alone cause some of the physical issues? Are some of the issues connected or likely all separate?
She is parked outside. Fuse box doesn’t show signs of water ingress. Battery was replaced a few years ago.

Hope someone can help me unravel the mystery. Thank you in advance, to keep me mobile would be a gift.

It sounds like that mega speaker has messed up the electrics. As its all computer controlled it could actually be the cause of all of them.

You need to get the OBD cables and a copy of www.multiecuscan.net. The free version should be enough to read the error codes and get you started on finding a fix.

The refusal to start and white smoke could be glow plugs. They give additional heat into the cylinder head when cold.

If the engine takes a long time to get warm check the coolant thermostat, but it could just be that it's an efficient diesel.

The heater fan running only on full speed is likely to be the heater speed resistor. They cost about £10 and fit to the right side of the heater case above the pedals on a UK car.

The car and its electronics are very sensitive to power issues. One MUST be certain that the battery AND THE GROUNDINGS are in good shape. "Has been replaced a few years ago" is not enough: it need to be checked NOW.
Water ingress in the fuse box is usually done from underneath, where all the connections are located, one can't tell it's ok just by looking from the top.

Start from a clean basis: good battery, good grounds, dry fuse box and probably a lot of problems will already be cured ...

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Thank you so much. I’ll do what I can myself but now I can check the garage is doing their bit too! Just nipped out to check fuse box and noticed what I think is a crack in large hose/pipe coming from left hand side of engine block. So another post to follow! Thanks again.

Is there any restriction about attaching pics ? Ben ??

BRs, Bernie

Back