General Punto version?

Currently reading:
General Punto version?

pingtim

I am thinking of buying a Fiat Punto and it is a 2013 model. On reading about them on Wikipedia and elsewhere it keeps showing me that one version or mark 3 to be precise, ended in 2012. So what is the 2013 model then? Is that still classed as an Evo? What Mark is this? Does anyone know please?

Broadly speaking, if you ignore the earlier versions, then from about 2005? up to 2009 they were called Grange Punto. Then Punto Evo to 2012 and simply Punto after that. The Punto Evo had black trim pieces on front and rear bumpers and a chrome trim on the front of the bonnet, but when the name reverted back to simply "Punto" they dropped all those trim pieces. Each version had several different trims and engines, My son has a late 2012 Punto "Easy" (one of the first of the ones simply called "Punto") There is a good Haynes manual available for them which I can recommend you buy.

The Punto threads are very active on our Forum, especially the Grande Punto section which has some very good "How To" guides for you to browse. There are not many differences between the Grande and Evo of great consequence. There are a few more when you move up to the later Punto, but a lot of the guides in the Grande section are helpful across the range. Also lots of very knowledgeable forum members for you to ask for advice from.

Last edited:
I am thinking of buying a Fiat Punto and it is a 2013 model. On reading about them on Wikipedia and elsewhere it keeps showing me that one version or mark 3 to be precise, ended in 2012. So what is the 2013 model then? Is that still classed as an Evo? What Mark is this? Does anyone know please?

Hi

Yes..generally the EVO is a shortlived 2010 to 2012

The same revised dashboard as the 2012+ 'punto'

Plastic infills in the bumpers are another novelty

Which motor are you contemplating..??

Charlie -diesel grande and 2012+ twinair

Technically speaking Fiat class their cars as "projects" and give them a project number.

first revision of the Punto was the 176.
second revision was the 188 launched in 1999, and not in the uk but other parts of the world carried on in production till 2012.

In 2005 Fiat launched the Grande Punto which was the 199 which carried over to the Evo and the later 2012 Punto then stopped production completely in 2018.
This was a completely different car made in a joint project with Vauxhall/GM a

If you want to apply a "mark" to them then
mk1 = 176 1994 - 1999
mk2 = 188 1999 - 2012
mk3 = 199. 2005 - 2018

But doesn't really work because of the overlap, fiat don't really use a mk system because in recent years they have been terrible at carrying on a lineage.

Companies like ford and VW tend to get branded as Mk because they do carry on a lineage each time they revamp their cars, even if they keep the same underpinnings they do then change pretty much everything else.

seems like what you are calling "mk3" on the forums it tends to get referred to as a Mk2/b

Thank you for the info. So this being a 2013 model are you saying there is only one style but just different engines to choose from? Do they all have the same trim level after 2012 with same equipment?

Thanks for your reply. It is the 1.4 8 valve version which I think is the old FIRE engine. I dont know the trim level or if there are in fact different equipment levels after 2012 or if the interior and equipment are standard from then on. It does not have sat nav, i know that. I have only seen the car in an online advert. It just states Punto on the hatchback.

I am told by the owner that the car does not have a spare wheel, just some filler and a pump. Does this mean if I get a puncture and have to use the filler that the tyre is then ruined and I have to get a new tyre or can it be repaired?

Thanks for your reply. It is the 1.4 8 valve version which I think is the old FIRE engine. I dont know the trim level or if there are in fact different equipment levels after 2012 or if the interior and equipment are standard from then on. It does not have sat nav, i know that. I have only seen the car in an online advert. It just states Punto on the hatchback.

There were still a couple of different trim versions even after 2012 as well as option boxes to tick, so it’s not possible to assume a specific level of equipment

I am told by the owner that the car does not have a spare wheel, just some filler and a pump. Does this mean if I get a puncture and have to use the filler that the tyre is then ruined and I have to get a new tyre or can it be repaired?
Tyres are not repairable once you’ve had to use the filler/sealant on them so would need replacement.

I had my evo for 3 years and never had to deal with a puncture, that’s obviously no guarantee though. You can remove the plastic storage under the boot carpet and fit a spare wheel in the conventional way if you prefer.

Post 2012, uk based cars are likely to be a “Punto” after they dropped all other titles, mechanically there is very little difference between the Grande and Evo Punto, it was basically the same car after 2005 till 2018.

Cosmetically there where a lot of changes and other little improvements, for example the EVO and 2012 punto where safer with more airbags and better seatbelt design and a safer designed dash. The interior looked a lot better they removed the large black inserts from the bumpers of the evo, on the later Punto (likely cost cutting) towards the end 2016 - 2018 they only came with two trims and very few options, material and colour choices were reduced also, and it became a very bland and boring car which is why they stopped selling.

In 2013 there is still a possibility of it being an EVO there are EVOs about on 2013 reg plates where they were late registered.

You can link us the pictures..
Save too much guesswork :)

Thats the later FIRE.. not safe if the cambelt fails

Charlie

My boy's Punto "Easy" has the 1.4 8valve FIRE engine and it's worth knowing that although many of the earlier "FIRE" engines were Non Interference - which means that if the cambelt breaks the valves and pistons do not make contact - The later ones were interference so if the cam belt breaks there's usually a lot of internal engine damage done. My boy's 2012 car is an interference type so we keep on top of replacing the cam belt at the recommended intervals. With a 2013 plate, if there is no credible evidence of the belt having been replaced recently, then I'd be budgeting for it (Fiat recommend a max 5 years or 70,000 miles, whichever comes first. This is for "ideal" driving conditions so if used for short journeys etc it should be done sooner. I start thinking about doing both his car and our Panda once they pass the 4 years mark as neither ever does a large mileage) The other thing they are prone to is rusting the steel sump. If left without attention they can actually rust right through - a bit like a pepper pot - and start dripping on the ground. You can easily see the bottom of the sump just by looking under the front of the car (put two wheels up on the pavement to give a bit more room underneath if you don't want to jack it up). Best to renew the sump before it gets to that stage though. We just put one on my boy's car last year and our Panda had one fitted just before we bought it in 2017 (it's a 2010 car). Other than that the only criticism My boy has of his Punto is that it's not very "rapid" especially out in the countryside. Overtaking needs a lot of preparation and some bravery, does his journey to work through the city just fine though. On the plus side, we've had Pandas in the family since my kids were learning to drive, our present one is a 1.2 FIRE engine'd Dynamic Eco and then there's my boy's Punto. All have been reliable transport. Servicing is easy and, if you're not going to work on the car yourself, won't present the average small garage with any big problems. Mechanical parts are relatively cheap and readily available so it's easy to keep the car on the road. We like them a lot!

A few have covered that it's the third generation of car, most likely simply badged 'Punto' as they dropped the Punto Evo in 2012.
From there, you have a number of different possibilities for trim levels. There are 7 or 8 trim levels from very basic (Pop) which have minimal equipment and no engine choice up to Lounge which are top spec and have better engine such as the 16v and Multiair.
There are a couple of trims which are specific to certain engines such as the TwinAir (0.9 turbo along the lines of the Ford EcoBoost) and the sporting which is the fastest Fiat badged model available with a 135bhp MultiAir engine.
Finally there is the Jet Black and Jet Black 2 limited editions (the only difference between to 2 being the decals) which look like a Sporting but have the insurance friendly 1.4 8v engine.
Across the various trim levels there are combinations of equipment such as Alloys, A/C, climate control, cruise control, parking sensors, voice command, sunroof, electric mirrors and SatNav. As far as I know all cars post 2012 have Blue&Me bluetooth, aux and/or USB and remote central locking.
Best way to find out what you're looking at is to pop the reg into mycarcheck.com which will give you plenty of information for free on trim, engine etc. and reference the information with Parkers to see what equipment is likely to be fitted

Back