General Punto Timing Belt Tension

Currently reading:
General Punto Timing Belt Tension

Brookes90

Seicento Sporting Abarth
Hi just got myself i good mk1 1999 black punto. FIAT PUNTO 1999 1.2 8V Engine

shes all good but i had a good look at the engine as i have good engine knowledge. The timing belt covers have been removed and if i was honest i wud say the belt was fairly new. my only concern is that it seems to shake and wobble near the water pump as if its not tight enough,

i thought that the tensioner was one in which you place a pin in the correct hole to make sure that the tensioner cant be wrong. Can you adjust this without removing all the belt or does it even need adjusting?

Any info and guidence would be good.

Last edited:
It does say at the top dave :p

You need to support the engine on a jack, remove the engine mount and it's just one nut holding the tensioner on. I'd replace it though. Don't worry too much as the 8v is a none interference engine - so no damage can be done by belt moving or slipping.
Check the timing using flywheel markings. Alot of people use the crankshaft markings to time it and they are unaccurate (y)

No pin for the tensioner

Thanks guys this is a big help, it all looks pretty simple but its nice to have some inside info.

ill use the finger technique to maybe give the tensioner alittle tightening. Im assuming the timing on the flywheel has a locking pin hole? not that i need it now anyway

As far as fixing this engine. Fiat really went out there way to make is really bloody easy unlike some other manufactures.

Back