General Punto starts one day, but not the next. Help!

Currently reading:
General Punto starts one day, but not the next. Help!

pjshaw

Hi there,

I'm having a VERY frustrating time with my Punto (1.2 ELX, X-reg), so any ideas or suggestions will be most welcome!

On Sunday the 26th August my Punto didn't start - it was turning over, but nothing else happened. I kept trying over about 30 mins, being careful not to drain the battery and making sure all the lights etc. on the dash went out before I turned the key fully. I could hear what I assume is the fuel pump, so at least that seemed okay.

Anyway I tried throughout the day, every 2 or 3 hours. Nothing.

Monday morning, car started first time!

So I took it to the garage who cleaned the crankshaft sensor.

Two days after that the injection warning light came on, but thats been coming on and off since I got the car so I just gave a little sigh to myself and carried on, thinking it wasn't important.

Then two days ago, after work, it didn't start again! I tried on and off over an hour until Green Flag arrived. Nothing. Even he couldn't get it started.

So I got it towed to the garage for them to look at in the morning.

The next morning I tried the car again. Didn't start so I handed over the keys.

The garage looked at it in the afternoon, car started first time! They claim they can't fix it until they see the problem, which is obviously very frustrating! It also means I can't really rely on the car at all at the moment.

Has anyone had anything like this happen before? Any ideas what it might be?

Just to give you a bit more info, the revs are also fluctuating between 1400-1500 when idle, although if you force them down with the clutch they stay down. So for example, if you come to a stop with the car in gear and depress the clutch at the last minute (before it stalls), then the revs idle at 900-1000. However, if you put the clutch down well in advance and stop the car, the revs only come down to 1400-1500. They also stay there if you rev the car when it's idling at 900-1000. Sometimes the revs will drop by themselves, but I can't find a pattern (although I'm convinced having the fan on full helps).

So there you go. Any help appreciated!

Paul.

idle problems and non starting are sometimes caused by starting the car with your foot on the gas do you start the car with the throttle depressed

failing this I would suggest the idle control valve faulty would fit your symptoms

this and the cps sensor (the thing you had cleaned) are the only 2 that can stop the car

not sure why someone thought cleaning it would make a difference cos it wont

as your car has not stopped wile you have been driving it that rules out the cps

so I would go for the icv as it's a common fault on these cars

Thanks for the info.

I don't put my foot on the gas, so I'll suggest the idle control valve the next time I'm at the garage.

Fingers crossed they fix whatever is wrong with it!

Paul.

Back