Technical Punto starting problems

Currently reading:
Technical Punto starting problems

ajgracing

Hi all,new to this forum so I apologise if this question has been asked before.

My 03 Punto will not start on first cranking, the battery as plenty in as the starter motor is turning over like a good un.

If I then turn the ignition off for 30 seconds and then try starting it fires first time.

any ideas anyone.

Well tried this morning putting ignition on and then putting seatbelt on, car started fine.

Lunch time, tried the above, engine just cranking, took 3 attempts to fire.

tonight put ignition on,keycode light went out, engine started then keycode light came on whilst engine was running.

Tried it again when i got home and engine starts and keycode light goes off.

I am thoughrly confused, what does putting the seatbelt on have to do with the engine firing? or is that just co-incidence

Take off the steering column cover and make sure the connections to the immobiliser antenna (it sits around the ignition switch) are all clean.

seatbelt has nothing to do with your problem
i was just making sure that the immobiliser ring had time to read your key
it would appear your problem needs a deeper probe
i suggest a code read followed by a live data scan to confirm whether the crank sensor is working correctly or intermittently,i know this is going to cost but i cant see any other way other than throwing unnecessary parts at the car

Well sorted at last, here's a strange one.

I tried the spare key and the car was starting fine every time, great i thought the other key is faulty.

Put the spare key on my key ring, same as before,car wont start!!:confused:

Then I had one of them eureka moments, 2 weeks ago I got a new fob for the gate at work, hold the fob up and the gate opens at work.

Took the fob off my car keys and all is good again:)

The fob was obviously interfering with the immobilizer signal from the key.

Back