General Punto starting problems.

Currently reading:
General Punto starting problems.

scratty_mjc

Hi all.

My fiancee has a 1997 fiat punto 1.2 and recently it stopped working. Apparently it stuttered a little as she was driving and stopped just as she was about to pull into a car park space. It hasnt worked since.

My dad and her dad have been fixing cars since the bronze age and unfortunately are stumped with this one. Upon turning the key i've noticed the KEY CODE light stays on and when starting the engine, it ticks over but im told there are no sparks from any of the plugs. You can hear the fuel pump starting so im told and fuel is getting to the engine, just no sparks.

I would be very grateful if anyone here could help.

Just a side question: would the car start if no ECU is fitted? Just to fill you in a little more, a mechanic told my dad the problem may be resolved if you removed the ECU for about 10 seconds. We tried that and nothing, yet if the ECU is removed the EXACT same symptons occur. Am i wrong in thinking without an ECU you shouldnt get as far as the engine trying to tick over?

Thanks again and any assistence would be welcomed!

Scratt

Hi all.

My fiancee has a 1997 fiat punto 1.2 and recently it stopped working. Apparently it stuttered a little as she was driving and stopped just as she was about to pull into a car park space. It hasnt worked since.

My dad and her dad have been fixing cars since the bronze age and unfortunately are stumped with this one. Upon turning the key i've noticed the KEY CODE light stays on and when starting the engine, it ticks over but im told there are no sparks from any of the plugs. You can hear the fuel pump starting so im told and fuel is getting to the engine, just no sparks.

I would be very grateful if anyone here could help.

Just a side question: would the car start if no ECU is fitted? Just to fill you in a little more, a mechanic told my dad the problem may be resolved if you removed the ECU for about 10 seconds. We tried that and nothing, yet if the ECU is removed the EXACT same symptons occur. Am i wrong in thinking without an ECU you shouldnt get as far as the engine trying to tick over?

Thanks again and any assistence would be welcomed!

Scratt

i think the mechanic meant you should remove the ecu for a few minuites in an atempt to reset it then refit and try again

there's no way a car will run without the ecu

if the code light is staying on and it's a blue key your using not a red one then that means there is a problem with the key code system

it could be any number of things from faulty ecu's to power or earth issues

IT happened to me you need an auto electrition. my code just stayed on but there was nothing at all. it was out of action for about 5 months. just got a decent electrition out and founf the fault straight away. one of the wires was either burnt out, cut or not connected properly. feel free to contact me 07904401751 if you need to see whether it is that problem bit hard to explain on forum.

Would the code light staying on stop the car from starting? It turns over just doesnt fire up. I had a clio with an external immobiliser and if you tried to start that without turning immob off then you go no engine activity at all.

Would the code light staying on stop the car from starting? It turns over just doesnt fire up. I had a clio with an external immobiliser and if you tried to start that without turning immob off then you go no engine activity at all.

yes the code simlpy stops the engine ecu injecting and sparking

you can still turn it over all you like

Back