Punto Speaker Upgrade

Currently reading:
Punto Speaker Upgrade

angstpristine

I want to replace the standard speakers in my Mk1 60SX Punto, but I can't afford a monster system or massive modifications. I also can't have a sub in my boot, as I use it too much for lugging my band's drum kit about.

I just want some replacements for the two front and two back speakers that don't fart when I turn it up. Slight modification (like cutting into the dash and back speaker encasements) would be cool.

Any suggestions for recommended (and cheap-ish) alternatives?

decent head unit with 6x9s can still give decent sounds. you can get that for £150 if you wanted too. replacement fron speakers would be about £30 i think not sure what size your speakers are at the front. if you can afford it get an amp to run the 6x9s off it'll sound much better. not really an ice man so thats about all the advise i can give sorry!

Mick
Cinquecento Sporting

I've got to disagree with the £150 price tag!

You only get what you pay for when it comes to speakers. I've just shelled out £90 on Pioneer components for the front of my car and thats not as much as I'd like to spend!

6x9s are good, but again you only get what you pay for. In my old car i went through 3 sets of Goodmans ones in the space of a month because they emmm..weren't very good! I bought Sony Xplode 6x9s in April and am already thinking about buying better ones now that I can afford the 100 odd quid for a mildly decent set.

As for the head unit, on your own head be it if you buy a cheap one! I wouldn't personally spend any less that £150 on a head unit!

It all really depends on how loud you want to play your music...and what sort of quality you want. Whatever you do, get GOOD speakers for your front doors they are the ones that matter.

I was in a car-audio installers car last week. He had £180 DLS speakers in his front doors and an amp/sub in his boot. That was all...well...along with his £400 Pioneer stereo. The thing sounded AMAZING!

Spend what you can on your sounds!

reccomendations?

Pioneer head unit.
Component speakers for you front door. 17" is what you're looking for if its the same as the Punto Sporting. You should have space for tweeters under the grills on your dash.
Back speakers - whatever you like!

www.Mobz.2U.co.uk
Logos, Ringtones and FREE phones.

Drive it like you stole it!

i agree also but he did say he wanted cheap. i have sony speakers i paid £50 for and they're not bad. by no means do i think ive got a good sound system but it's better than standard and i nicked the head unit of a mate so didnt cost anything ;)

Mick
Cinquecento Sporting

Mate, got a top tip for you. My first car was a Mark 1 Punto 75SX. What I did was go into a Fiat dealer's part department and get them to order me the door pockets from a better model like the Sporting. These have inbuilt speaker brackets and match the doors perfectly. Is yours a three door? It only really works if it is. I took the old door pockets off and put the new ones on (well, had it done by a pro) and put some new speakers in with some tweaters in the old front speaker holes under the windscreen. If I remember rightly, the holes in the new pockets are an odd size, something like 5.25" but you can get good speakers to fit them, I had some Alpine ones. I also got a 5 channel amp to mount on the back of one of the rear seats which then powered the front speakers, the 6x9's on the parcel shelf and also my 12" sub in the boot. Worked very nicely [8D]

It is possible to get the wrong pockets. The first lot I ordered (the parts guy at that dealer wasn't the brightest bulb in the box) were wrong as the top of the speaker holder moulding was designed to go with contoured door cards. The one you want is completely flush at the top of the speaker. Best bet is to go to a Fiat dealer and or somewhere with mark 1 Puntos on display and look at Sportings etc yourself.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Steve

Fiar Stilo Abarth 3dr. Loden Green, Beige Leather, Sky Window, Cold Climate Pack, 17" Alloys, CD Changer, 260w 8 Speaker Stereo. Anticipated Delivery Mid June (oooh it's July now and guess what?.....Still waiting!

You pays your money you takes your choice:D

I've just fitted a set of 6.5inch Polk Audio components (all £500. worth) and they rock :D

It's taken 4 years to upgrade to this sort of quality, i've tried virtually every type of speaker on the market!
The Pioneer E-motion stuff is excellent as is the Infinity stuff, personally i'd avoid kenwood, sony gear. You'll get some good components for £100. and some co-axials for the rear for £50.

Si.
2.0 20v HGT + £2.5k of stereo + NOS (soon)

£500 on components!, God you students are loaded!
oh yeah forgot Student Loan! :D

I have considerably more mods, THAN YOU!​
voldar02.gif
Pssssst my cars for sale​

Funnily enough my first year student loan did pay for my Alpine head unit and the install costs in my first Punto! Those were the days......

Fiar Stilo Abarth 3dr. Loden Green, Beige Leather, Sky Window, Cold Climate Pack, 17" Alloys, CD Changer, 260w 8 Speaker Stereo. Anticipated Delivery Mid June (oooh it's July now and guess what?.....Still waiting!

Hi I'm just beginning to modify my mk1 punto in a few weeks.I'm just beginning and don't want anything too loud so I've got myself a 12" sub for the boot that takes a max of 450 watts and an amp that gives out a mere 2x100. What I was wondering about was the 6x9s.
Where is the best place to install them as I have back speakers that don't seem to have a lot of room due to the seat belt and I don't have door speakers (very old model) Can you get a new door interior on the 5 door model that allows for door speakers to be installed or what and what the hell do you guys have for your front speakers under the window and what do you guys have installed in the back.
Cheers as I am a bit of a newbie to all this malarkey!
Neill (Wiegie) Wylie:I

Hand faster than the eye can see YEAAA!!

Read my post above about the door cards for the 3 door. You can do the same for a five door but just make sure you get the right ones, I had an incorrect set sent to me first. I needed the ones for the flat door cards and instead they sent me ones for some card which was sculpted (is that the right word?). In my Mk1 75SX I have a 12" Alpine Sub in the boot, two 6x9's on the parcel shelf (the standard back speakers disconnected) and in the front there was a component set with the tweaters in the standard speaker holes under the windscreen and then the larger speaker in the new door cards.

Fiat Stilo Abarth 3dr. Loden Green, Beige Leather, Sky Window, Cold Climate Pack, 17" Alloys, CD Changer, 260w 8 Speaker Stereo.

Mate, got a top tip for you. My first car was a Mark 1 Punto 75SX. What I did was go into a Fiat dealer's part department and get them to order me the door pockets from a better model like the Sporting. These have inbuilt speaker brackets and match the doors perfectly. Is yours a three door? It only really works if it is. I took the old door pockets off and put the new ones on (well, had it done by a pro) and put some new speakers in with some tweaters in the old front speaker holes under the windscreen. If I remember rightly, the holes in the new pockets are an odd size, something like 5.25" but you can get good speakers to fit them, I had some Alpine ones. I also got a 5 channel amp to mount on the back of one of the rear seats which then powered the front speakers, the 6x9's on the parcel shelf and also my 12" sub in the boot. Worked very nicely [8D]

What about the wiring? Did you have to run your own cables?

i'm not sure though, wouldn't i have to take the dash apart to get to run the cables from the cd player to the doors? and then how would the cable get from the car into the door... I'm sort of a newbie at this as you can tell

i'm not sure though, wouldn't i have to take the dash apart to get to run the cables from the cd player to the doors? and then how would the cable get from the car into the door... I'm sort of a newbie at this as you can tell

no, you take the headunit out, pull the carpet up around the pedals etc, its **** easy to be honest, it wont take long at all, run the wire under the carpet, to the headunit, wire it in, then just run it through to the door... its so easy! really is.

yeah i am thinking of upgrading my front door speakers i spent 50 quid on the fusion components and already replaced the tweeters for better ones but now might upgrade the woofers to something else as i always want a bit more from the speakers even though they sound pretty good at the moment!

Back