Technical Punto Slow Down on M6

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Slow Down on M6

The high spec stuff on the Scoob would remap the fuelling and ignition according to the fuel used giving an extra 2% or so (frankly not very much**).

The C1 didnt but the only way to know is try both fuels under similar conditions and see if the posh petrol gives better mileage.

** A better test would have been a standard set of part throttle tests as that might give a better than 2% improvement in mpg and that might have shown on the baby car.

Last edited:
Assuming its been serviced properly the 1.2/60 is a perfectly good engine (for what its intended to do) - you just have to use it properly. Small engines need to rev to make power so as already said simply drop to 4th gear. Dont be scared to rev it - too slow uses more fuel and the engine wont last as long.

Failing that buy a bigger car (or a diesel), but all engines have a "happy speed".

I had one as a first car and trust me I'd run it to the limiter once its warmed up :devil:. You have too just to keep with traffic and "make progress" :devil: :eek:

Makes the point of having a small engine pointless as economy goes out the window. I can remember actually spending less fuel upgrading to the 1.4 16v despite the extra capacity and power.

Yep! Thrashing a low power engine puts it above its peak torque sweet spot so economy goes out the window. Small engines are only better economy at low speeds where the lower pumping losses mean less fuel is needed to keep the engine going. Once you are thrashing it to simply make progress you’ll need a bigger engine or a higher power (more sporty) version.

My HGT is doing best part of 40mpg on long runs If I could keep it below 85 might get close to 45+mpg. My 900 Seicento was going pretty much flat out up the M6 was only slightly better - like 45-48 mpg. BTW I did find posh petrol gave slightly better mpg in the Sei.

Back