Technical Punto S2 stopped!

Currently reading:
Technical Punto S2 stopped!

Our S2 1999 Punto with 240k Klms. Background: Has been super reliable, no hints of problems. I sold it yesterday and the guy who bought it had a 40 miles drive home in the dark. He called to say it had stopped at about 20 miles.
We went out (as you do): turn ign key and dash lights flash on and then go out all except the seat belt warning light. Engine obviously doesn't turn over, no clicks etc. Hazards work, radio works, nothing else. I towed him off the road but didn't risk taking him elsewhere without lights.
Has anyone got any thoughts about what this sudden demise might be. I'm no expert at all but I'm thinking ECU...
TIA

Our S2 1999 Punto with 240k Klms. Background: Has been super reliable, no hints of problems. I sold it yesterday and the guy who bought it had a 40 miles drive home in the dark. He called to say it had stopped at about 20 miles.
We went out (as you do): turn ign key and dash lights flash on and then go out all except the seat belt warning light. Engine obviously doesn't turn over, no clicks etc. Hazards work, radio works, nothing else. I towed him off the road but didn't risk taking him elsewhere without lights.
Has anyone got any thoughts about what this sudden demise might be. I'm no expert at all but I'm thinking ECU...
TIA
Could be many things, I assume it is possible to physically turn the engine over, new owner hasn't seized the engine. No funny smells , low engine oil or water, flat battery. I would be surprised if ECU suddenly died, a broken wire is a possibility, but hard to tell , not being there.
I would have a good check over in day light and if nothing obvious, all you can do is give him the money back and take car home, unless he want's to keep car with an agreeable price reduction to you both but in writing, so he can't go back on the agreement.
However before anything try, if everything else looks OK starting it with a good battery.
How did he say it happened, any warnings?
With that mileage / kilometres was he buying it for "scrap" value in which case his liability or was it sold as a good runner with no known issues and what was put on the receipt ?

Thanks for replying. We are in Italy where things are done rather differently! No receipts, bought as a runner for not much money (by local standards).
I towed him to his garage where they connected a new battery and it started but the mechanic said he wanted to give it a good check over. That was Saturday so we'll see tomorrow what transpires.

Back