Technical Punto running hot

Currently reading:
Technical Punto running hot

stuo1

I have an M reg punto which for some reason keeps running very hot near the red line. I have checked the water and the oil and for any leaks but nothing. Also i have just noticed the fan has stopped working when the engine gets too hot. The engine even though running sometimes on the red line hasnt over heated as of yet! Any idea's please. Thanks.:bang:

Many thanks ill look for the fuse box first. Hmm now just got ot find it lol!(y)

On our 96 Punto, there are three fuse boards. One's in the engine bay (big values), one's in the passengers glove box (the top drops down with a clip), and one's behind the stowage box by the driver's right knee (two screws).

It took me a good while to find the last two. . . .:eek:

it might be your head gasket cause it happend 2 mine. kept overheating and the fan doesnt work. had 2 get a new 1 put in and thy can b expensive. also hav 2 get new oil filter n thermostat n put new oil in. big job

Thanks for the above. Ok today we have just got back from a quick drive out and again it was running very hot and the fan isnt working. I opened up the bonet to find water coming out of the radiator cap. The car it self is driving ok and ive checked the oil and that is fine. As said its an M-reg and has done 70,000 genuine miles. Im thinking along the lines of a block in the rad system somewhere or maybe the thermostat. Anyone any ideas on how much a thermostat is and is it easy to fit! Ill also have a look at the fuse boxes i didnt know about as i only saw the one next to my right knee when in the driving seat. Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks Punto, ill try that tomorrow night after work. Now im going to totally sound thick here but can you tell me where the thermostat is located on the engine. Cheers again.

To be honest mate ive never had to change a thermostat before ive been told only takes 5-10mins to change im sure you follow one of the hosings from the raditer then at the other end take the hosing off and the thermostat should be right there inside the hose the thermostats are under a £10 you will have to top the car back up with water and coolant after taken the hosing off the thermostat should look something like this..

imagesarticles200301182340251671jq5.jpg

Thanks Punto, after work ill be giving that a go. Ill let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks everyone, I fitted a new thermostat today and bingo the fan is working normaly and the engine running at the normal temp. Car is fine now. New thermostat was £15 and it sits in a housing, you buy it complete in the housing and just bolt it on. Took 10 mins to do and is on the right hand side of the engine, just follow your water pipes. Back nut was a bit awkward but nothing too bad. Thanks again.(y)

Thanks again everyone, this proves what a great forum this is. (y)

Back