General punto revs

Currently reading:
General punto revs

I have an 8v 1.2 mk2 with a rev counter, it revs to about 5.5/6k before the limiter kicks in. Running it at the limiter shouldnt do much damage, as thats why the limiter is actually there, but i wouldnt do it for too long.

Last edited:
my 8v didnt have a limiter at 6.5k, 7k!

and 1st: 34mph
2nd: 62 mph
3rd: 83 mph
4th: 105 mph
5th: havent a clue, but its geared for about 140mph (obv youd get no where near that ;) )

i say that, but my 8v was a bit special, no one else i know with them could get those kinda figures, never did get it RR'd :cry:

my 8v didnt have a limiter at 6.5k, 7k!

and 1st: 34mph
2nd: 62 mph
3rd: 83 mph
4th: 105 mph
5th: havent a clue, but its geared for about 140mph (obv youd get no where near that ;) )

i say that, but my 8v was a bit special, no one else i know with them could get those kinda figures, never did get it RR'd :cry:

wtf?

what you do to that to get those figures?

the box just isn't geared for that is it?

Ian

the FIRE engine is a "safe" engine and will happily rev to 9000rpm with no internals needing changed, so i wouldnt worry about taking the revs up.

in my old 60sx all the power was near the limiter (7500rpm) anyway.

just dont bounce it off the limiter too much, unburnt fuel can cause bore wash in the long run.

Last edited:
76-78, depending on where you read ;) and a bit heavier than you would expect.

ie, 100kg+ :eek:

at least you realised your mistake :p

the 1.2 16v mk2 is SOOO much faster than a 1.4 16v fiesta its quite frankly ridiculous:p
you know you want one

hi there do you know how can i connect an optional rev counter on my punto mk1 ? or you know some one who can help me pls

go get dashboard unit from a higher up model from scrappies (SX upwards)

take out your unit, get fiat to clock the miles the same on the two units, plug your one in and you are sorted. IIRC this is all you need to do, the wiring is all done already.

Use the search function, its been covered loads of times before.

no mk2 1.2 8v or 16v came out the factory with a 7grand limiter that;s false must have been remapped:p

and yes indeed safe to 9 grand they are most fiat petrols are not just the fire(y)

who needs a rev counter anyway you got ears havn't you listern for the engine to scream then change gear :eek:

no one can honestly tell me they watch there rev counter wile they drive to make sure there changing up at max power no more that's ridiculous they'd crash into something :rolleyes:

i do agree it's a novelty just once to watch it go off the gauge when you shove it in second at 70 but that's it otherwise i don't pay much atension

not half as much as my pasengers thou as they think it's about to self destruct around 6400 :D:D

as for a factory rev counter it's the blue wire from the ecu uner bonet to go to the unused pin on one of the conectors bottom left i believe

Last edited:
no one can honestly tell me they watch there rev counter wile they drive to make sure there changing up at max power no more that's ridiculous they'd crash into something :rolleyes:

I do, whilst being perfectly safe. you only need one eye to do it ;)

i couldnt live without one, either, its more than just a novelty.

Last edited:
no point revving round to that sort of revs when the power is past the peak.

in the sporting, in 1st it revs freely all the way to the limiter without apparent loss of power, but in each subsequent gear you notice that the acceleration drops off after 6000. Therefore, with a glance on the rev counter, you can tell when exactly to shift up, getting the best acceleration.

if the 8vs are the same, you would be revving without gaining anything, and instead just contributing to heat soak of the engine bay (therefore losing further power)

every little counts when you have a 1.2 ;)

no point revving round to that sort of revs when the power is past the peak.

in the sporting, in 1st it revs freely all the way to the limiter without apparent loss of power, but in each subsequent gear you notice that the acceleration drops off after 6000. Therefore, with a glance on the rev counter, you can tell when exactly to shift up, getting the best acceleration.

if the 8vs are the same, you would be revving without gaining anything, and instead just contributing to heat soak of the engine bay (therefore losing further power)

every little counts when you have a 1.2 ;)

i know that
but it makes a nice noise:devil::D:eek:

Last edited:
Back