General punto power steering

Currently reading:
General punto power steering

pacer123

hi there am a new member and wondered if anyone can help me?ive just bought a used early punto and the power steering has just gone and wondered if any one has any suggestions as to what could be the problem as am certainly no mechanic.thanks

hi man , that's an issue that has been very much discussed here , do some searching and I believe you'll find your answer!!Could be many things...From serious , like the damage of the electric motor or the steering wheel sensor to minor , like a bit of lack of electric power due to the battery..That if it's an MK2

mine has just gone as well :bang: i have replacement parts just gotta fit them. I'm replacing the ECU and the motor will let you know how i get on, (mk2 sporting abarth :slayer:)

Thanks for all the help and will have a look into it.its an 01 punto .all help gratefuly accepted and appreciated.

i've fixed my power steering, looked like it was a didgy connection on the earth wire to the electric motor, i bought a new power steering ECU and motor off ebay for £65,

to replace this, you will need a 10mm socket & 8mm socket (i think) allen or hex keys, and a pair of pliers (just to loosen the star bolts),

before you start disconnect the battery!

undo the 4 nuts under the steering column, 2 near the wheel and 2 by the height adjustment arm open the fuse hatch to the right and remove,

undo clip the wiring looms from the metal plate and using the 10mm socket undo the three bolts one in the centre and 1 either side,

unclip all the wires from the ECU this is located behind the plate you removed just,

dont worry about labeling the wirings as all the wires are shaped differently so you can't put the wrong wires in the wrong slot,

on the left of the ECU is a black star bolt, using the pliers to loosen the bolt then you can do the rest with your fingers.

to the right is a big cylindrical object which is the motor, then using the pliers just loosen the 3 star bolts, 2 are easy to see and the other is behind it, u can push the plastic around the back to gain access to the bolt not visible,

using the 8mm socket you can fit this over the star bolts and undo them,
once all have been removed carefully pull the motor from the arm link, u will need to keep the arm link inside the gearing which connects the motor to the gear box, its black with 2 silver ends which are star socketed.

then fitting is a reversal of disassembly

only reconnect the battery once all electronics are securley in place and all covers are back in place, i deally to how it was when you started.

then if the unit you have bought isn't nakered your power steering should work again :D(y)

Back