Technical punto non start

Currently reading:
Technical punto non start

Story continues
Bloke with complete Ecu,key,antenna etc kindly let me try it on my car so we swapped everything for this system from a Y reg 1.2 8v.
The fault still remained, key code light on and not starting.
Took it all off put original stuff back on.
He reckons that you should have evidence of power on the two large multiplugs situated at the rear of the throttle body but it all seems dead.
Took engine fusebox right out, checked and cleaned connections, put back and still same.
There are 3 fuses that operate ECU F16 ECU (ign switch power)
F17 (power) and F18 (battery)
Checked them and F17 doesnt become live at all, the other two have constant and switched power, is this correct.(n)

It's the body computer that stores the code not the ecu,did you swop this aswell?

Yes there should be a constant live at the 2 large connectors(ECU connectors)but it's hard to determine as terminals are so small & easily opened up or damaged unless you use correct probe.

Haven't got diagram here but F17,what do you mean by power? Battery or ignition or should this be live for a few seconds when turning on? Did you check earths on ecu?

Few options here,dealer or return to basics & check everything you have removed again.Sometimes it's all to easy to get too in depth & overlook the basics.

If the car was ok before the cyl head was done then it must be something that was done(accidently)during this?

You are right its looking like dealer.
Where is the body computer situated, this bloke seemed to know what he was doing so I presumed he brought everything.
As regards the fuses, I was just quoting how they classify them in the owners manual, so I wondered why F17 just reads nothing on a voltmeter at any time.

Sorry no diagrams.
The body computer was changed also, so the whole system was changed from the original and the key code light remained on.
The only thing I noticed when the different Ecu was on was that the T9 relay was constantly clicking, so dont know whether this means anything.
Anyway this bloke has offered to take her away as he has diagnostic equipment so we will see what happens.
Any ideas what it might be?

Really need EM wiring diagram,I think T9 powers injectors/coil but is reliant for it's supply from another relay...if you dont get it sorted tomorrow i'll bring EM diagram home.

Recheck your earths...gut feeling!

OK will check earths.
Guy fetching car Friday night, so if I can cure it before then would be marvellous.
Would be grateful for you checking EM diagram. Thanks let me know.

Check fuse F18 (7.5A) in battery fuse box,this is the ecu battery live,F16 is its ignition live.Relay R9 is powered by battery(30) out through terminal 87 to feed F11 & 22(injectors/sensors etc).Relay coil switched via ECU terminal 85(earth) & 86 (ignition live from F16).Let us know how you get on or need more info(y)

Check fuse F18 (7.5A) in battery fuse box,this is the ecu battery live,F16 is its ignition live.Relay R9 is powered by battery(30) out through terminal 87 to feed F11 & 22(injectors/sensors etc).Relay coil switched via ECU terminal 85(earth) & 86 (ignition live from F16).Let us know how you get on or need more info(y)

Can youhear the fuel pump when you switch ignition on for few seconds prime?

Thanks for the info.
First of all checked earths, clipped jump lead to body and engine, keycode light still on.
F18 is ok and has a constant live
F16 is ok and becomes live when ign is switched on.
Will have to check F11 & F22, should they become live after ign is switched on and should you hear relay click when it is energised.
Definitely no sounds from fuel pump when ign is switched on.
What is F17 for, in owners manual it states ECU (power)

Last edited:
No mention of F17 here?

F11 & 22 only live for prime (3 seconds) as the relay (R9) is controlled by ECU via earthing out terminal 85 on relay.

I'll scan this in & post it up if you want?.....if I can work out how to do it:eek:

That would be great if you could, have a go.:rolleyes:

Can I just ask , if the keycode light is on and the engine immobilised will the ECU still send a signal to Relay 9 to prime or not.

Last edited:
No it wouldn't! They communicate via CAN lines via pins 29 & 20 connector B (ECU) to pins 36 & 37 connector C (body comp).Worth checking continuity between these via the dreaded D4 connector,next to battery as Numan mentioned.Pink & pink/black wires from memory?

emp.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for diagram.
So is this D4 the multi connector down the L/H side of the engine fusebox next to the battery?

Back