General Punto MKII Had a small bump at front and need some advice

Currently reading:
General Punto MKII Had a small bump at front and need some advice

Entwine

I was travelling in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway when two cars collided in front of me in left lane, another car on the left attempted to avoid the collision an veered towards the right hand lane. This caught my attention and steered away however the traffic had stopped in front of me and I went into the back of a small transit (it sustained no damage at all).
My car initially looked like it was just the license plate and the chap seemed in a rush and said juts leave it's fine. So off I went to work and thought nothing of it until I got home and had another look and noticed the left hand corner had dropped somewhat, although the radiator, lights and other bits are all fine and untouched.
For obvious reasons I do not really want to go through the insurance and I am just looking for advice regards the repairs and likely cost.
Please take a peep at the pics and let me know if you have any advice before I take to my local garage.

p.s. what is that bar section called?

Thanks in advance

Entwine

Attachments

• DSC07065.JPG
    DSC07065.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
  • FrontDamage2.jpg
    FrontDamage2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 16
  • FrontSideDamage.jpg
    FrontSideDamage.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 53
  • Inside bend.jpg
    Inside bend.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi Entwine,

Welcome to the forum.

The whole plastic assembly at the front is called the valence. Not aware of a name for the bar part; it's just part of the chassis. Looks like the valence mounting has been pushed in a little. Can't see anything actually broken from the pics. It may be as simple as removing the valence and pulling the mounting back out where it started. That may require a puller or just brute force.

red

Last edited:
The front bumper has a foam plastic pad at each side to absorb small impacts which are probably squashed.

I recently had my bumper off to replace the radiator. This might help -

The front bumper is attached with screws under the wings at each side (remove the inner wing covers to access), three Torx screws underneath the front and finally two Torx just under the front bonnet.

If any of the Torx screws look rusty they are very likely to shear off. They can appear to be turning but just snap off. Oddly they seem to be hard material and difficult to drill out. Its 100x easier to drill a new hole alongside and fit new self tapping screws.

Before you start make sure you have a batch of fat hex head self tappers ideally with integral washers. Normal cross heads will to awkward to fit

Back