General Punto MK2b Help Needed!!!

Currently reading:
General Punto MK2b Help Needed!!!

JaketroN

Hello people!

I'm looking at buying this Punto Mk2b of Autotrader. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200949347435661/sort/priceasc/usedcars/quantity-of-doors/3/price-to/2000/transmission/manual/body-type/hatchback/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/price-from/1000/page/5/radius/100/postcode/tf93he?previous=/search/results/usedcars/postcode/tf93he/radius/100/quantity-of-doors/3/price-to/2000/transmission/manual/body-type/hatchback/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/price-from/1000/sort/priceasc/page/5&anchor=advert200949347435661&logcode=p
media

I'm aware it's a CAT D, and the disadvantages of it being so.
I have ran several checks on the car and all say it's an 8v. However the advert and the badge on the car clearly state 16v.
Is there any way of identifying the two?
I have also noticed the badges are on the wrong side, and there is an active sport badge missing on the drivers side.

Help me please Fiat Forum!!

Open the bonnet, two cams = 16V, one cam = 8V.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks, but I have not been to see the car yet.
Is there any visual differences?

Also, what is your opinion on the car? Would you buy it?

DVLA have it as an 8V, if that isn't one of the checks you made. That makes me think someones done an engine swap, assuming there is a 16V lump under the bonnet.

Its also not stunningly cheap for a listed car.

The low mileage might be tempting, about 7000 miles a year suggest short journeys, or Enid Blyton in the log book

I think you could do better.

Cheers

SPD

Last edited:
DVLA have it as an 8V, if that isn't one of the checks you made. That makes me think someones done an engine swap, assuming there is a 16V lump under the bonnet.

Its also not stunningly cheap for a listed car.

The low mileage might be tempting, about 7000 miles a year suggest short journeys, or Enid Blyton in the log book

I think you could do better.

Cheers

SPD

Yeah, I checked the DVLA. Engine swap was one of my theories, however it's possible that someone has simply added a 16v badge and they have assumed that's what's in there?
I think I might steer clear of it, thinking about it now.
Will phone tomorrow and interrogate them..

Also to add, this would be my first car as I am only 16 and not 17 for a little while. Low miles and price tempted me.

Thanks

Yeah, I checked the DVLA. Engine swap was one of my theories, however it's possible that someone has simply added a 16v badge and they have assumed that's what's in there?
I think I might steer clear of it, thinking about it now.
Will phone tomorrow and interrogate them..

Also to add, this would be my first car as I am only 16 and not 17 for a little while. Low miles and price tempted me.

Thanks

Looking through the Autotrader site there were a few similar, all less than £2K, and from dealers, so there is a chance of a discount and obviously some come back should things go wrong.

Cheers

SPD

If the engine has a massive round plastic box on top of it its an 8v. If its square then its 16v.

Fairly certain the 2b Active Sports are 16v.

Last edited:
Back