Technical Punto Mk2 Rear Window Removal;Change due to Demister

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Mk2 Rear Window Removal;Change due to Demister

My demister at the back probably has 4 lines that are working. They're all near the bottom and are not really helping me see anything through. Rather than using the conductive paint things, I was thinking of going to a scrapyard and just get the glass part if it is easy enough.

How hard is it to take out?

My demister at the back probably has 4 lines that are working. They're all near the bottom and are not really helping me see anything through. Rather than using the conductive paint things, I was thinking of going to a scrapyard and just get the glass part if it is easy enough.

How hard is it to take out?

There bonded aren't they to the boot?
As there is no seals on them

My advice - take the whole boot lid in the same door and colour configuration as yours
Swap the lock over and mount the new lid - probably easier then a bonded screen

failing that - look at your insurance policy - a Stone from a lorry smashed my rear screen, can you replace please (pay window excess)

Ziggy

There bonded aren't they to the boot?
As there is no seals on them

My advice - take the whole boot lid in the same door and colour configuration as yours
Swap the lock over and mount the new lid - probably easier then a bonded screen

failing that - look at your insurance policy - a Stone from a lorry smashed my rear screen, can you replace please (pay window excess)

Ziggy

Hmm. Something to think about. I was just thinking that it could be that much cheaper to buy just the glass so I just wanted the glass.

About the insurance thing. I've seen this on the AXA website:

Glass cover is automatic if you have comprehensive insurance. You can add it to a Third Party or Third Party Fire and Theft policy for an additional premium.

We will cover the cost of having your glass replaced or repaired. This includes replacing or repairing broken or damaged windscreens and windows of your car.

If you have glass breakage cover and want to make a claim, you must telephone us on 1890 24 7 365 before any repair/replacement work is carried out.

If you use one of our nominated repairers (AllGlass or Mr. Windscreen) cover will be unlimited.

If you use your own repairer, cover will be limited to €250 for replacement glass or €50 for a repair.

I definitely have comprehensive, so what do you think?

dont invoke the insurance
the glass is indeed bonded and its one of the few things ive never tried getting out because of limited access for my gold windscreen wire
a s/h tailgate is the way forward but remember to get a tailgate with wires in so you can use these to feed your car loom through by taping new to old and carefully pulling like santas leg down the chimnley

or live with it

Alternatively, most scrappies have a mobile windscreen contact. They'll take your screen out, take the screen out of the scrap car, bond it into yours. On a Sei, a few years back, I paid 30 for the screen, 30 for the fitting.

Do you think scrappies here in Ireland would have those windscreen contact things? I'm going to call a few up tomorrow and inquire. If this idea works, that's amazing. Perfectly what I wanted. Thanks for the idea.

I'd go with ziggys suggestion, chances are the scrapyard one will be as bad as yours so it'd be just as cheap to pay your excess and have a new one, doesn't usually affect your no claims but check first - not sure about Eire. Anyhow, how's the craic with you?

I'd go with ziggys suggestion, chances are the scrapyard one will be as bad as yours so it'd be just as cheap to pay your excess and have a new one, doesn't usually affect your no claims but check first - not sure about Eire. Anyhow, how's the craic with you?

If I check it out properly and everything, do you think I'd be able to spot the skips? I can see the skips on mine so I thought that I could spot them on any window. I wouldn't mind checking every line either.

I'll call up a few scrapyards tomorrow first anyway to check if they even have one of those thingies.

Haha. Fortunately I don't use craic as I ain't Irish but thanks for asking and things are well. Got engine swapped a week ago and so far so good. :)

I'd guess so -- most places now will have mobile screen men, from there it's down to "mateship".

I'll ask around tomorrow. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Well, it's got two chances! They usually show up as a paler section or you could use a multimeter. Good Luck!!

Well, it's got two chances! They usually show up as a paler section or you could use a multimeter. Good Luck!!

The multimeter idea is even better. Lol. Thanks again.

get a whole boot lid in the same colour, easier than changing the window

I'll see what they'll tell me tomorrow. I wouldn't mind paying if they could do the window change for me as long as it's not a lot of money :p

Whatever works out cheaper, window/boot lid change, doesn't matter :p

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Back