Technical Punto Mk2 HGT Rear Disc-Pads- Renewal

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Mk2 HGT Rear Disc-Pads- Renewal

Heya guys/gals, any info on how easy it is to change Rear disc-pads on the HGT? I've searched a few threads but not found much info. Have seen Xen's guide but not sure it covers my mode even if one of the pics seems to show a similar caliperl. How hard/easy is it to do ? I have got the pads ready to do the job as I have had some experience changing pads, but obviously do not wish to ruin my braking system by not checking first...:confused:

Any asisstance would be great (y)

Ok, being a rear caliper, there is the added complication of the handbrake mechanism auto-adjust to worry about. First, pull the caliper towards you to push in the piston (it won't go far because of the handbrake mechanism). Undo the bolts that hold the caliper and its carrier to the hub, and remove caliper, carrier and pads as one. At this point, change the disc if necessary. Now comes the trickier-than-fronts bit. You either need strong thumbs, or a caliper rewind kit (about £15 from Halfords - be careful to get a Fiat one since others may be threaded the wrong way around). Remove the old pads, then use either the tool or your thumbs to twist the piston as you push. Once fully rewound, you may replace the pads (with a little backing grease, ensuring the nipple on the inner pad goes in the gaps on the cross of the piston). Slide the caliper back into place over the disc and resecure. Pump the footbrake and apply the handbrake a few times to let it auto-adjust and then test as you normally would.

Ok, being a rear caliper, there is the added complication of the handbrake mechanism auto-adjust to worry about. First, pull the caliper towards you to push in the piston (it won't go far because of the handbrake mechanism). Undo the bolts that hold the caliper and its carrier to the hub, and remove caliper, carrier and pads as one. At this point, change the disc if necessary. Now comes the trickier-than-fronts bit. You either need strong thumbs, or a caliper rewind kit (about £15 from Halfords - be careful to get a Fiat one since others may be threaded the wrong way around). Remove the old pads, then use either the tool or your thumbs to twist the piston as you push. Once fully rewound, you may replace the pads (with a little backing grease, ensuring the nipple on the inner pad goes in the gaps on the cross of the piston). Slide the caliper back into place over the disc and resecure. Pump the footbrake and apply the handbrake a few times to let it auto-adjust and then test as you normally would.

Wow, Mike thanks for quite a compehensive explanation, just as well I asked otherwise if had a go yesterday I might have been without use of a car today and probably threst of the week...:rolleyes:

Maybe you should have done a DIY how-to post ?... (y)

You 100% need a piston rewind kit, there solid. Another thing to check is the pads slide freely in the caliper, they corrode which is a common problem. Also remove the two slides and copper slip them, they should just pull out (there the bits the bolts go into with the rubber boots on).

Last edited:
Back