Technical Punto mk2 - Constant Cooling Fan

Currently reading:
Technical Punto mk2 - Constant Cooling Fan

balmykat27

HELP.

Flaming car! The old cooling fan has just broken as it was constantly running. I replaced the coolant (air locks, bad coolant), flused the system and radiator and whats very strange is that the temp gauge never shows any overheating. I have just replaced the cooling fan and keeps doing it. From reading the other posts I am confussed as what it could be now. I unplugged the new fan and drive without it and the car doesnt overheat. Therefore I believe it to be electrical or sensor rather than mechanical.

I think it might be the water temp sensor but the temp gauge never shows it overheating. Is this normal? Therefore it might be the relays but the fan only turns on constantly once the engine gets to temperature. It doesnt come on at the first turn of the key. I rather dabble with it myself than paying a fortune for a garage to say its either ecu or head gasket. It just seems to me that once the temp gets to a certain level the fan always runs.

Help

Marc

What procedure are you doing when you bleed the system, it does sound like air is in the system.

I open the bleed screws, disconnect the bottom hose from the filler, drain the coolant. I then disconnected the thermostat housing. I got the garden house and let the water through the lower hose into the block and watch it pour out of the thermostat housing to flush the engine out. I then reconnected the hoses and thermostat. With the bleed screws open i poured the water slowy into the filler. I waited for the water to come out of the bleed screws and constantly squeezed the hoses. I then shut the bleed screws and topped off the filer.

I am unsure if this is correct or not. Please advice how you would do it.

Regards
Marc

Please help. I have bled the bloody thing over and over. I have checked the relays. I have reset the ECU (unplugged battery for an hour). i am not convinced its the temperature sender as the gauge reads ok. Even with the fan unpugged it doesnt overheat. So why why why does the fan keep going off. Its driving me mad especially since they cost a fortune to replace. Help

Back