General Punto mk2 8valve engine management light on

Currently reading:
General Punto mk2 8valve engine management light on

carlos321

Hi to everybody nice to be on this forum.
Yesterday my car Punto 1.2 mk2 x reg was running fine, then suddenly at low speed the engine management light came on and the engine stopped working, after that I could not start the car enymore. I called RAC and the guy said the car is not sparkling and injecting anymore, the ecu needs to be replaced ( seems very common). Now the ECU seems expensive and before I buy it, just I want make sure is the ECU 100%, if is there anyone that had the same problem I will appreciate.

Thanks, Carlos

get it code read 1st. does your car still not start? ive had my punto for 7 months and only twice the light came on and i switched it off and bk on and its been fine.since then it aint come back up *touch wood*. so it can be anything from something silly to something major.get it read 1st:) that way youl know exactly where trhe prob lies. even if the rac bloke says that its better to get it checked by code reading:)

So the Problem seems to be between the ECU and input to coil? If the car is pluged into a diagnostic machine it reads the fault as a coil malfunction, you can test this by swapping the coils over and if the same 2 cylinders don't fire then the coil is ok and the ECU is faulty. Apparently when a coil blows it quite often blows the ECU too. (n)

Back