Technical Punto Mk2 1.2 8v Slight Stutter

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Mk2 1.2 8v Slight Stutter

Guys

Its a bit of a strange problem I was hoping some one could help with.

Symtoms

* Part throttle especially at low speeds and low revs the engine seems to hesitate
* Very difficult to pull away with out slight kangarooing
* The tickover is sometimes erratic - ticking over at 750rpm on the rev counter
* On tickover if you gently rev the engine on returning back to idle you can feel the hessitation

My thoughts

The clutch feels like it is on its way out. It is not slipping at the moment but it is getting stiffer to depress (it is not stiff to press at the moment). When fully depressed you can hear the very early sounds of it making the traditional noises.
Its about 1000 miles from its next service which will be 60k.

I am thinking either it is minor missfire which may be cured by a service by replacing plugs, oil, filter (as normal) and air filter. Also possibly caused by the cluch wear. I am not to sure.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions? Anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

if it's still there after the service it's likely a head gasket failure
is it more pronounced when cold
also hows your water level

I would have them check it out when you get it serviced

it wont have any thing to do with the clutch atall

if it's still there after the service it's likely a head gasket failure
is it more pronounced when cold
also hows your water level

I would have them check it out when you get it serviced

it wont have any thing to do with the clutch atall

littlepip its a little flat from cold but not really more pronounced. The water levels are constant and is not losing any water at all. I have done the service myself over the weekend and it has improved it.

Now you have got me paranoid on the HG! I have booked it in for a new clutch and CV gaiter for ASAP anyway as these need doing.

Is there anything I can do easily to check if the HG has or is going or is it a case that it have to be stripped to see?

Ive got a simliar problem which now its getting cold has returned... just stuttering from cold for about the first minute. Pulls off from the drive ok, but get to the end of the road, out of the junction and bugger all there, really doesnt want to accellerate but does so slowly. Then thats it, never happens again until a cold start.

Havent sussed this out either m8, had it a year and dont have a clue on it. Serviced and everything, even the garage didnt have a clue.. so good luck!

littlepip its a little flat from cold but not really more pronounced. The water levels are constant and is not losing any water at all. I have done the service myself over the weekend and it has improved it.

Now you have got me paranoid on the HG! I have booked it in for a new clutch and CV gaiter for ASAP anyway as these need doing.

Is there anything I can do easily to check if the HG has or is going or is it a case that it have to be stripped to see?

They call it a "sniff test" to check if your cylinder head, or head gasket is leaking.

either a sniff test or compression test but if your loosing no water it's unlikely the head gasket

I would try a new lambda probe there £60 from fiat I think but it's a waste of time buying any were else after market lambdas are just a disaster in the making believe me

Last edited:
Possible throttle potentiometer sticking, think modified one available, to cure that prob

either a sniff test or compression test but if your loosing no water it's unlikely the head gasket

I would try a new lambda probe there £60 from fiat I think but it's a waste of time buying any were else after market lambdas are just a disaster in the making believe me

Definatley not losing any water. I did change the plugs in the service but to be honest now I have driven it for a while I think it may be something like the lambda probe. It feels a little flat the second you roll off the throttle and it is as if the engine management system is struggling to fuel it correctly. Almost surge like behavour. I am getting the clutch done next so once that is complete I will look at getting the lambda done. That looks an easy job to do (famous last words). When taking the old plugs out the colour of all 4 was the perfect biscuit brown as well.

They call it a "sniff test" to check if your cylinder head, or head gasket is leaking.

Sniff test. Do I take it that this is performed by opening the bonnet and the general smell of hot coolant gives the impression of leaking coolant and thus the possibilty of the HG leaking?

Also - Thank littlepip and other for your help. Its much appreciated and one of the reasons this site is such a great resource. (y)

Sniff test. Do I take it that this is performed by opening the bonnet and the general smell of hot coolant gives the impression of leaking coolant and thus the possibilty of the HG leaking?

Also - Thank littlepip and other for your help. Its much appreciated and one of the reasons this site is such a great resource. (y)

a sniff test is a devise that notifies the presence of carbon dioxide in the coolant system

**Update**

I had the clutch and CV gaiter changed and the new clutch has really improved the drive but I have a clearer feeling the car is hard to hold on part throttle in traffic without the feel it is surging.

As per earlier post form littlepip I got the o2/lambda sensor checked to ensure this was ok and it was ok. Does anyone have any other possible things it may be as I really want to get the car running smooth. :bang:

I started it up this morning and it revved to about 2500prm and was idling erratic until it was warm. Once warm the tickover was definatley to low at 700rpm.

Back