Technical Punto MAP sensor gone, or...?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto MAP sensor gone, or...?

Michel

I am experiencing a serious problem with a 1994 Punto 1.2 S60 (176A...): Oftentimes the car will not accellerate, and it feels as if "drowning" the engine, resulting in a "rocking" ride and vitually no increase in speed. Very frustrating!
It happens in all gears and is felt especially when the load on the engine is increased (going uphill, freeway access, starting from a red light etc.).
When the problem is felt the injection light comes on after a few seconds.

I tried changing the coils, the fuel filter, lambda-sensor and had the injection nozzles cleaned. All to no effect
What to do?! Is the MAP-sensor up next? (If so: Am I right in suspecting that it is the little match-box-sized blue thing under the bonnet close to the windscreen?). I have ordered a Haynes manual, but until it arrives, I am stuck ... a photo showing the placement would be highly appreciated, as would any ideas on where to look for the defect...

Michel

If one or two cylinders isn't firing, I would expect to be able to hear it on the engine, with a more erratic sound pattern(?) This does not appear to be the case -Engine sounds fine...

While experiencing the problem, I tried pressing the clutch, and dabbing the throttle: as soon as the load is off, the engine revs fine all the way through the register.

My girlfriend is starting to tell me, we need to seriously consider getting rid of the car -and that FIAT is in fact an acronym for Failure In All Things ...

Had the car on a lift yesterday and noticed a (loud) whining noise from the rear, when the engine was running. Turned out to be the fuel-pump (located under the rear seat), working overtime.

I removed the fuel pump and retracted the upper part from the "cup" in which it usually sits. The pump filter was completely covered in a 1 mm thick layer of sludge or soil! No wonder the engine was struggling when under load: It wasn't recieving the fuel it needed ...
After wiping and cleaning the filter, I re-inserted the pump (broke and fixed it too) and now the Punto is purring like a kitten.

Too bad it cost me a lambda sensor (which was nor defect after all) and three stops at three different garages to have the car diagnosed. In the end, the fix was an easy one!

\Michel

i have been having problems with my punto when under load when i turn ignition on the fuel pump is whining til the injector sign goes out i mite give this a try and see ive already had the pump out to have a look and was gona take the cup off but didnt wana break it let u know how i get on

...I've already had the pump out to have a look and was gonna take the cup off but didnt wanna break it ...

Don't worry about the cup: it snaps off fairly easy (mind the tiny plastic bits).
-but do worry about the reconnection of the fuel lines. I broke the plastic tube on my fuel pump when reconnecting! :bang: A colleague of mine quickly manufactured a steel tube insert, solving the problem.
The operation still is fairly easy (I am by no means a skilled DYI mechanic), but the pump tubes may be delicate, so just be careful when dis-/re-connecting the fuel lines. (y)

\Michel

Hi all
I am having nearly the same problem with power under load but mine wont start now and I have changed the crank sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump, injectors, leads, coil pack,fuse's and presher injector I have also cleaned the other sensors I have a punto 90 1.6 8v N reg can anyone help me find the map sensor as I was told it could be this thats giving me so much trouble. Thank you very much I realy do need some help now.

Back