Technical Punto Loss of Power

Currently reading:
Technical Punto Loss of Power

Spuggy

Hi all,

Can anyone give me pointers as to what I can check out. My problem is that my Punto 1.9 JTD frequently has the check engine warning light coming on. Most times this causes no other problems but it is annoying. Other times I can loose all power and the car is limited to 3000 RPM :mad:. If I stop the engine and wait 10 mins it will start and mostly run fine, only occasionly needing a couple of resrts to return power.

The loss of power can happen anywhere wether I'm pootling down the A1 and just about to overtake :eek:, or just as I start the car in the morning.

I've read up on the forum and I think it may be either the MAF or EGR.

I am quite technical and don't mind getting my hands dirty but I have no clue where to start looking for the EGR (MAF is covered thanks to excellent guide on forum)

Cheers for your help

Hi

did you ever sort this out?

i have exactly the same problem with my jtd.

was your engine management light on?

any help would be appreciated!

thanks jamie

Hi - i've had the same problem too. I've replaced the MAF sensor and blanked the AGR Vv but to no avail. Scratching my head now, but hey, I've still got the red air bag light to keep me busy too when i get chance to have a look. Any ideas? Don't really want to be driving along and get a bag in the face all of a sudden!!
Cheers,
Si

Hi, I had a sudden loss of power a while ago in my 1.9 jtd. We sprayed some wd40 into the electrical mains box thing under the bonnet. Well, obviously I didn't but my boyfriend did.
It had got damp or something. It hasn't lost any power since. Touch wood.

I also have the airbag warning light, it's a pain.

Hi - thanks, I'll check the main electrical contacts to see if they're damp, but not holding out on that being the problem.
Cheers.

Hi - did you find out what your airbag warning light problem was? Mine is red all the time.
Thanks

My passenger airbag is broken. Too many ohms or something he said! I got quoted over £900 from Fiat for a new one (I don't think so!!) but bought a second hand one on Ebay hoping it would be ok, but that is not good either. We've just switched it off now. But I still have the light and the bloody computer tells me twice each time I start the car. I just press the 'mode' button and it goes away. I do warn all my passengers that they have no airbag though...

The red light means airbags will NOT deploy so they wont go off in your face when you need then or when you dont.

There is a guide/sticky on the subject. Apparently 90% of the time its a wiring fault associated with the passenger side cut off switch and glove box. Another spot to check is the steering clockspring but no point until the usual fault is fixed.

ALWAYS DISCONNECT CAR BATTERY 30 MINUTES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ON THE AIRBAGS SYSTEM TO ALLOW CAPACITORS TIME TO DISCHARGE.

Back