Technical Punto HGT

Currently reading:
Technical Punto HGT

funkycinq

Hi, been thinking for a while now to get myself into a Punto HGT, and one has come up for a reasonable price. It says on the description that it needs a new rocker head and rocker gasket, it has 56K on a W reg, so my question is: Is this a common fault on Punto's, specifically the HGT engine? The advert says arounsd £125 to fix...what does everyone think?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Sam.

No i dont think it is a common problem, but i think the HGT likes to drink alot of fuel so it would be a big diffrence from your cinq, there is a common problem ive heard and starts with a v (viaraiter) something like that and does cost alot..

PS: sorry im a little drunk lol

its not a common problem, but ive just fitted a new rocker cover and rocker gasket to mine.

the rocker cover was from fiat and was about £120, the gasket seal was about £10. the reason mine, and probably yours needs replacing, is that the bolts that hold it down will have been over tightened, and this cracks the rocker cover as there really flimsy.

hope this helps! got part numbers if you buy it and need to order the bits!

but the main problem with the HGT is "the variator" mines on its way out :-(

if your going to buy it, ensure its had cambelt done, as this is 5years or 72000 on the hgt, and the car u mentioned being a w reg, shud defo have had it changed....

things i wish i had checked before i bought my hgt:

oil cooler....the pipes going to it were brittle, and snapped eventually, costing £150 from fiat

radiator pipes....two of mine were badly cracked, and eventually split...

finally.....please check the bolts holding the driveshafts into the diff, 6 bolts for each side, somehow mine had come loose, they then snapped, and sent driveshaft spiining into the gearbox £££££££££

Back