Technical punto hgt cant engage 3rd gear??

Currently reading:
Technical punto hgt cant engage 3rd gear??

driving home from work tonight, and i couldnt select 3rd gear at all, all other gears fine, was same for 20 miles. got home. turned engine off, and eventually engaged it .

so then test drove it up the street and it went in fine?

any ideas what this could be?

ive recently changed gearbox oil so that shouldnt be a problem?

car has covered 38,000 miles on a 51 plate(2001)

cheers guys :)

Perhaps the linkage temporarily got pushed out of line? When you finally managed to put it into 3rd then the linkage re-aligned and fixed itself??

That's my thought.

i dunno, this car can be a joke! its one thing after another lol!

damn bitch, she only does 25mpg! is anyone elses similar?

any thing i can check on gearbox or gearstick to oil/grease? etc

yup hgts are well known for using a lot of fuel.

and IMO they are not as quick as they should be. a map and a bit of fettling (theres two guys on here that have mod'd the engine well, and theyare now quick) should see it like it should be.

Had the same problem on the motorway Saturday, with the gears but lost them all :( pulled up on the hard shoulder tried them after a few minutes and been ok since:confused:

Average MPG is 33 combined driving.

Steve

a map? i thought the hitachi ecu was unmapable?

if it mappable, whoe does it?

what gains?

what price?

cheers :)

all mine has is full stainless cat back exhaust, k&n induction kit, thats it engine wise. but i think mine is really quick, compared to most cars. it beats mini coopers, the new ones, and every saxo vtr and vts i have come across

Chipped uk in bromsgrove, if you have a gsr kit and supersprint manifold + a half decent cat back system you'll make 160-163.5 bhp and 138.6lbft.

If you fit a bravo head (reworked) and cams you can see around 200bhp (plus no variator problems(y) ).

I've stripped mine out and can do my mates type-r to a 100, obviously with a few mods he'll do me but for the average 'sheep' on the street you can do them, just.

Last edited:
matty_oakley said:
a map? i thought the hitachi ecu was unmapable?

if it mappable, whoe does it?

what gains?

what price?

cheers :)

all mine has is full stainless cat back exhaust, k&n induction kit, thats it engine wise. but i think mine is really quick, compared to most cars. it beats mini coopers, the new ones, and every saxo vtr and vts i have come across

Get the K&N off. You are losing 5bhp and god knows how much torque with that on.

what is your average journey length? My HGT only does 25mpg but that is because the variator is buggered.

how do i contact chipped uk? website? phone number?

i do 20 miles a day return trip to work. and its between 25-26mpg tops.

does the k&n really make engine worse? it camewith the car.

and explain more about this head changine and no variator problems???

cheers guys

http://www.chippeduk.com/

When the engine was in the bravo it did'nt have vvt, hence no variator.
K&n's only lose power because of there positioning, the actual filter itself is quite good.

Back