General Punto gt

Currently reading:
General Punto gt

markirish

I'm flying over to manchester tommorrow to look at/pickup a punto gt. Anyone got advice on what should be looking out for that could suggest somethings wrong with the car

So many things could be wrong..esp being a GT they are not the most reliable of the punto range..plus all the usual things to look for on the puntos

Is there not someone who could go with you that knows about GT's?

Or have a look over on PSC...full of the answers you are looking for over there

Good luck

I have a punto mk1 8v and a mk1 sporting 1.2 16v so know the normal things that go wrong with them accros the range just dont know the specific ones to gt's sorry should have been clearer. Its a bit to late to ask anyone as leaving for the airport to go over in about 3hr 30mins and am in Dublin atm which considering only about 10 punto gt road cars in the country would be hard to find someone that knows about them :D . I've 4 fiats in the household atm and never had a problem with rust. The other two are a punto mk2 8v and seicento.
This the one am looking to get.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/237382.htm
Was looking to spend about 2k on one but think everyone i txted didnt believe i was serious about flying over :p. Thats the only one could get that didnt have a problem with me being in ireland

Last edited:
High mileage doesnt mean it hasnt been looked after, unmodified are a bonus. as long as turbo etc are ok.

You will also find that the problem parts have already been replaced, fsh is what you want to look for and bills for parts that have been replaced.

Get someone to follow you in your car..

Ask if you can give it some welly through 3rd say right to the redline and ask a mate to watch for any blue or white smoke during acceleration and when you change gear (thats if the car behind can still see you ;) )

Some black smoke during this exercise is normal in small quantities and in any case is just un burnt fuel.

Check the gears are all smooth and there are no noises in neutral, boxes are not cheap to repair and are more likely to be worn on a powerfull car.

Going back to the engine, let it idle so it gets hot enough so that the fan comes on and goes off.

Ask the owner to not start the car before you get there thats an old trick to disguise smoke on a cold start up...

Check the tire wear make sure its pretty even if its not it might have been in a prang. Look at the camber on the rear wheels, if there seems to be more that useual the radious arm bearings may have gone, also listen for knocks when driiving for this..

Bought the car i highlighted got a 100miles and something blew had to get it towed to the ferry then to me gaf. Cost me a load. Am gutted been looking for one of these for ages :(. all of a sudden tonnes of white smoke cam out the exhaust then lost power and started to come out the bonnet. opened it up and rusty coloured water everywhere :p none left in the coolant system afterwards. Rac told me was headgasket and not to sure about the turbo. So far the guy is really helpful about it. Said would help with payments towards getting it fixed and is adament there is nother wrong with the turbo any of you any advice on whether could have been a double whammy? If the turbos gone am going to strip the car and start putting a 2l coupe engine can get(well not me will get a mechanic to do) so prob not driving it for a few years then :p

The guy from rac said it. I wouldnt be able to tell. Was just stating what he said. Really hope it aint.

The guy i bought if from, who is from puntosports.co.uk informed me is going to send me over a headgasket kit and a cambelt :D cant wait to start to fix it :D. Already chatting with a mechanic about a bigger turbo now instead of replacing it :D

Wait untill you replace the HG and Cambelt, also check if it has a cambelt tensioner with the kit if it hasnt i would replace that too while you do the belt, then give it a test drive see how the turbo works, you might be satisfied if it works and kicks in at the right momeants, dont go way ahead of your self. :)

Your right think the missus should hold onto me credit card :p. The car can drive even with a knackered turbo right just no boost?

Know his name just think would be polite to ask him first will tell ya when he replies as people might see him in a bad light from this but i still have a very high opinion of him and has been helping me all the time with it and is sending me over a head gasket kit and cambelt which when i get will be over the moon :D been to about 20 mechanics before and none have the headgaskets as they never even heard of the car taught i was just nuts and put a 1.4 litre engine in a punto :D

Back