Styling Punto Gt wheels!!

Currently reading:
Styling Punto Gt wheels!!

Hi there,

I'll done all the research and am asking onbehalf of Dr hillman (the guy i sold the wheel to)

I know for an 899 cinq u need 15mm spacer front and 10mm spacer back to have the correct offset for the punto gt wheels of ET 35. But i'll manage to use those wheels with just 8mm spacers at front and 5 mm spacers at back with no rubbing what so ever.

My question is that, does cinq and sei (both 899cc) have the same off set ?? And how come the sei has rubbing with 10mm spacer at front and i don't with a cinq ??

Could that be something to do with shape of the car ??

Any help would be great!!
Thanks
Ming

The steering track rods is rubbing and he's got 9.5 mm spacer at front

I'll get back to you, once i got home and take a look at the picture, and hopefully Dr hillman can update us with a more clear story !

glad you got ur treet sorted :D

Thanks
Ming

well im here! lol.
seem like the wheel balancing weights rub on the steering trackrods... its now clearer to me that it happens on both sides (front only) while corners, anything above 1st gear sort of speed really

also... i seem to be gettting a lot of quite harsh rumbling... now im not sure if this is due to the tread pattern (as it it is miles different from my old ones, and im not used to them yet) or maybe becuase the wheels dont sit on the hub anymore, like the steel ones?... as the punto gt wheels dont have a hubcentric mounting... so im thinking possible damage to hubs/bearings if it persists (and this is the problem)... the rumbling is only noticable it seems as i go faster than about 70mph

other things to note:
tyres are 175/55 (i think)
wheels are same overall diameter as the stanard 13" steelies
5mm spacers used on back... no trouble with clearance
9.5mm spacers on front (or maybe 9) - i need to check

forgot to mention... the trackrods foul only on the balancing weights, not the actual rim itself, so there is only maybe a mm of discrepancy...

also, the balancing weights are crimped to the very inside edge of the rim, by the tyre, rather than glued onto the horizontal part of the rim. hard to explain (lol) but not on the edge by the tyre... you know what im getting at...
rob

Get the weights changed to stick ons in the centre of the wheel, would be a simple answer. It sounds to me that the wheel is too far out from the hub if its catching the weights on the track arm on full lock.

Get some proper hubcentric spacers,

The noise is possibly the tyres on the wrong side compared to the way they used to be, but I'd get the proper spacers anyway.

Cheers

D

yikes, get some hubcentic on the front asap...i hope you changed the bolts as well, else your wheels are perilously close to falling off :eek: the fiat ones are readily available and not too bad.

5mm on the back will give you very little on the hubcentric front as well, but you can't get them that small..the sandard bolts with 5mm are just about long enough, i ran for a few thousand like that, with no ill effects, but changed them in the end as they are a bit to close for comfort.

With the 5mm spacers, as they were generic, it was VERY easy for them to not sit central, and then that lead to wheel wobble as they were imbalanced...leading to noise and vibration, and giving the bolts a hard time. In the end i drilled them out so i could refit the hub securing bolts, to hold the spacer in place. This made a lot easier and safer to change the wheels.

Kristian

Are you sure the PGT wheels are ET35, mine are ET45. With that a 10mm spacer a 14x5.5 just about gets you clear of the suspension parts on full lock, you really want 15 or 20mm spacers at the front.

What ever, don't be looking at people with centos and 15" rims running around ET35 with J6(.5) rims, ET35 on 14x5.5 gives you less suspension/steering clearance than on those 15" rims at full lock.

sorry my mistake, they should be ET45. I'll provided him with longer bolts.

Gobe, do you own a cinq or sei ?? And did u run 10mm spacer at front or back as well ?

hmm kritip, i see in ur thread that fiat do those 10mm hubcentic (on sei arbath) for like 37 quid a pair ?? (Got part number ?)

And i assume you can just use normal wheel bolts with them ????

Rob, if it all fails ... just get them hubcentirc :).

(i am pretty keen on getting them :D )

Thanks
ming

well cannot find "normal" as in non-locking bolts within 30 miles of where i live! everywhere just sells mcgards!

but now the wheels are the leastof my troubles, as now my clutch cable has snapped, so im going nowhere! oh dear!!!

cheers

bahh! well ive got one now. ive sent my lovely mum out to get me one from Grays fiat in warwick... although im not their biggest fan! but it only cos 15 qid, and ill be able to start it tonight...
im going to do some searching to find out how now!

pics of the weights and the rubbing... as i had to take the wheel off the change the clutch cable...

DCFC0005-1.jpg

DCFC0007-1.jpg

Back