Technical Punto gearbox problem

Currently reading:
Technical Punto gearbox problem

baz1975

I have a punto 1.2 active on an 04 plate that developed gearbox trouble. I took it to the garage , they came back saying the shaft was worn and leaking oil into the bell housing and would need a new gearbox. I sourced a reconditioned gearbox which they have fitted. They have now said that they are unable to get all the gears working, they can select some and not others. Wondered what peoples views were. The consensus from all the car experts i know is that they haven't adjusted the linkage properly. The recon box was fully tested on a rig before it was supplied and the garage saw no fault with it when fitting. I haven't yet paid the labour cost as it seems the garage is at fault not being able to adjust the linkage properly.

the cables are clip on and very little adjustance is needed
you havent got a 6 speed box by any bad chance by mistake?
other thing is a cable might have broken have they checked this because this fits your problem

Will get back to the garage in the morning and make further enquiries. They wanted £450 to repair it or £900 for a recon. I got a recon for £360 so cheaper than their own repair price. Just gotta pay the labour...but at this rate we'll have a discussion as to what i should pay for an unuseable car. Typical that a relative thinks he could have it sorted in 10 minutes but lives 300 miles away! he's sure it's a linkage problem and just needs some adjusting...so can't understand why it's a problem for the garage...b****y annoying!

Got to the bottom of it! went to the garage and had a look with them the top linkage on the gearbox is faulty no left to right movement of the gear stick. they didn't want to tamper with it for fear of voiding the warranty. spoke to the gearbox supplier who advised taking the linkage of f the old box putting on the new, will solve the problem and will still honour the 12 month warranty.

Back