General Punto EVO Engine Swapping

Currently reading:
General Punto EVO Engine Swapping

JLCBS

I just bought myself a 2011 Punto EVO 1.2 as my first car and I love it, although it's getting a bit old now and the engine lacks performance. The acceleration is poor.

I want to replace the old engine (75'000+ miles) with a reconditioned one, although I don't want the original 1.2 engine. I want to try and fit the 1.4 M-Air engine used in the EVO Sporting.

Is this even possible? Is it worth it for a performance boost? My thought process is because both my car and the EVO Sporting are similar then the engine bays will be similar which means the engine swap will be relatively straightforward.

I'm new to cars and don't really know how I would go about doing this.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi

It IS possible..

But is basically building a second punto

Wiring..dashboard..etc as well as engine and gearbox

Then..its a 'special build' so insurance will be more expensive that just buying a stock A.P.E. or Evo Sporting

Save your money.. then once your no claims has built.. you can buy something more interesting :)

Charlie

Last edited:
Hi,

Some bad news, someone hit my cherished and well looked after white Punto Evo GP whilst it was parked and no idea who did it.

If anyone would like spare parts from it as a lot of it is still in good condition and it would be shame to let it go to the salvage yard.

Let me know :)

Hi,

Some bad news, someone hit my cherished and well looked after white Punto Evo GP whilst it was parked and no idea who did it.

If anyone would like spare parts from it as a lot of it is still in good condition and it would be shame to let it go to the salvage yard.

Let me know :)

Sorry to hear that :(

There should be a fair demand for undamaged parts.. lights and bumper seem hard to obtain

And Sad123 is looking for a gearbox ;)

Charlie

Last edited:
I would be interested in the gearbox if it’s compatible of course?

Also how much would you want for it…?

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I just bought myself a 2011 Punto EVO 1.2 as my first car and I love it, although it's getting a bit old now and the engine lacks performance. The acceleration is poor.

I want to replace the old engine (75'000+ miles) with a reconditioned one, although I don't want the original 1.2 engine. I want to try and fit the 1.4 M-Air engine used in the EVO Sporting.

Is this even possible? Is it worth it for a performance boost? My thought process is because both my car and the EVO Sporting are similar then the engine bays will be similar which means the engine swap will be relatively straightforward.

I'm new to cars and don't really know how I would go about doing this.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hi I’m in the exact same boat as you, did you end up swapping the engine I’d love to do the same just to get a little something when I do put foot doesn’t happen much but it would be nice

You know what. Best money you can spend us driver training. Increase your driving skill in thatvyou can work with the power you gave at the moment. I've seen plonkers driving 2vfeet behind annother driver then they pull out to overtake and try to accelerate.

Get dome driver training do you will be able to better plan your overtakes etc.

Get better discounts on insurance and wait a little while. Then when you can afford to upgrade to the higher performance car do so then.

If you modify an existing car you will be devaluing it. You could get caught with toad tax issues as your unlikely to be in the correct tax bracket for your car.

Once you've had the driver training you will be a much safer driver at the same speed you are currently driving at.

I often find that when a driver becomes more qualified thier fuel economy also goes up as they can plan better on the road too.

Let me ask who seem to be the worst drivers out on the roads from the experience of others?

Tim

Back