General Punto Engines

Currently reading:
General Punto Engines

abarthpunto1

can anyone help me as to what engine i can put in my vreg mk2 punto without too much hassle its a 1.2 8valve and i am on my third head gasketand its only at 42k i wanna know if any of the 16v engines will fit my 8v is multipoint injection but unreliable somebody help me(n)

To swap to the 16v you need:

Manifold
Inlet manifold
Front wiring loom
accerator pedal
ECU
Body computer
Key and lockset

and a shed load of work.....

abarthpunto1 said:
can anyone help me as to what engine i can put in my vreg mk2 punto without too much hassle its a 1.2 8valve and i am on my third head gasketand its only at 42k i wanna know if any of the 16v engines will fit my 8v is multipoint injection but unreliable somebody help me(n)

sorry cant help with the above, but as custard said, its a lot to go in a short space of time :eek:

welcome to the forum btw (y) you should post in the newbies section!

Not to rub salt into your wounds, but I got over 95,000 miles on mine before it needed a new headgasket and needed another at just under 160,000 miles.
At this point I just put a new motor in it as the clutch was on its way out as well as the blown headgasket. Well the motor I put in it had just over 7,000 miles on the clock.

I would have to ask like the others - ''Who the hell is fitting your headgasket!?''

My Doblo has the same 1.2 8V engine and my head gasket went at about 68,000 miles. I did the job myself about 3 weeks ago and I did take the precaution of having the head skimmed. When working on the engine my overall impression was that it is cheap & nasty compared to previous engines I've worked on, mainly Fords. For example there is no automatic tensioning of the cambelt and my belt was very slack. I renewed the belt at the same time so I will have to get the engine mounting off again in a few months to check the tension (belts tend to stretch initially then settle down). My problem was diagnosed by computer at the local Fiat garage. At the same time they pointed out that the sump pan was badly corroded, this is on a 2002 car. They quoted for fitting a new sump but I just cleaned the loose rust off and coated it with waxoyl. Again, I will need to keep an eye on this as I'm not keen on the idea of the sump rotting through and suddenly losing all the oil :eek:

Back