General Punto broken into,lock damaged

Currently reading:
General Punto broken into,lock damaged

mick2009

Hi everyone,
My punto mk2 2003 5 door was broken into a couple of nights ago,it looks like they shoved a screwdriver in the passenger side lock and now i cant get the key in and also around the lock the metal is a bit buckled. a fiat dealer said i cant just buy a seperate barrel i would have to buy the whole set at over £300!! so it looks like its got to be ebay,i dont mind having a different key for the passenger door because i only use the remote anyway but all i can see on ebay are ones for 3 door mk2 puntos,so will a passenger side barrel from a 3 door punto fit my 5 door one,whats the difference if any? any info on this would be appreciated,

thanks in advance,

michael

think about this - do 5 doors have a key-hole on the backdoors?

I believe the key locks are all the same tho

And it maybe worthwhile talking to a few key cutter places - there was a Forum trader who said he can make keys work in locks

As for damage to the door skin - its a case of have a plate welded behind the door lock mechanism and try your best to straighten up the door skin
If they try again, the plate you have welded will actuall stop them getting in

Alot of people try the screwdriver - it dont really work no more

Ziggy

cant remember if 3 door lock is different to 5 door although im fairly certain its not but they are handed so you would need the right side
its quite easy to strip the lock down so if you got another from a scrappies you could quite easily swap the jiggly bits over to the undamaged scrappie lock and your original key could be used
i use one of these to sort damaged door skins out although i havent had to do one for a while
http://www.power-tec.co.uk/showitem.asp?item=4731&Lock+Panel+Repair+Tool

Yup - Should knock sort of back into place
But like most metals - once they've been bent once - they bend easy again
hence making it easier for a Yob to do it again, might be more sucessful as well :(

Hence why you need a plate welding to the inside of the doors

Cant be hard todo? Okay the Ecu would need removing and the battery also

but i'd probably do it on mine :)

Ziggy

Back