Technical Punto 90hp Diesel Engine Not Starting !! Need Help Please

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 90hp Diesel Engine Not Starting !! Need Help Please

Prince7774

Hello All,

Greetings!!

I need help regarding my Punto 2009 Model engine starting issue.

1st Problem:
From past 2 years there is a starting problem, when I crank the engine for first time it wont start and on second crank with slight acceleration it will start but if I don't do slight acceleration again it will turn off. But, after starting it will run very well with out any issue.

2nd Problem: After travelling some kilometers if I stop the vehicle and try to start again it wont start immediately. It will start after 5 min. Initially, I thought it was starter motor problem but surprisingly it is not the problem creator.

Here the main story of engine not starting:

My parking lights are not working so I took the vehicle to FIAT Authorized service station. They changed the parking lights they are working fine. Suddenly, the engine didn't start and even my horn is not working. Following are all the tests performed but not use (see the attached please).

Now, FIAT service people contacted company and they recommended wet compression test. Where are dry compression test is successful and my injectors are also good.

FIAT company people are saying we may need to remove the head and see if there is any fault in the valves. By any chance whether they are worn out (my car ODO is 1,15,000KMS) Diesel engine manual vehicle. It has been almost 4 weeks they couldn't able to figure out the solution.

I request you all to kindly provide your insights and save my beauty!!.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Punto.PNG
    Punto.PNG
    687.7 KB · Views: 68
When it does start from cold is the exhaust smoke white with a smell like unburnt fuel? If so, even though you have had a compression test, I would suspect low compression.
If, when it does start there is very little smoke, to me that would say the injectors are not getting a signal to open to let fuel into the combustion chamber, so when they do decide to open there is no excess fuel to ignite.
The fact you have no error codes eml light etc. may point towards a mechanical rather than electrical fault.
I see you say swapped fuel injectors, was a "leak off test" ever done when it wouldn't start?

What is the fuel pressure in the fuel rail when starter motor turning?
Read this pressure from the engine ecu .
Is the imobiliser turning off? (Look for light on instrument panel)
Check air inlet pipes not blocked, check anti shudder valve not stuck closed.
Will it attempt to run if brake cleaner sprayed into inlet air?

When it does start from cold is the exhaust smoke white with a smell like unburnt fuel? If so, even though you have had a compression test, I would suspect low compression.
If, when it does start there is very little smoke, to me that would say the injectors are not getting a signal to open to let fuel into the combustion chamber, so when they do decide to open there is no excess fuel to ignite.
The fact you have no error codes eml light etc. may point towards a mechanical rather than electrical fault.
I see you say swapped fuel injectors, was a "leak off test" ever done when it wouldn't start?
No white smoke. They changed the injectors and checked still the same issue. As you mentioned service people are also saying we need to open the head and check. But, one of the technician is saying when the engine starts it is running smoothly. So, he is not sure if there will be a problem. Coming Monday they are opening the head.

What is the fuel pressure in the fuel rail when starter motor turning?
Read this pressure from the engine ecu .
Is the imobiliser turning off? (Look for light on instrument panel)
Check air inlet pipes not blocked, check anti shudder valve not stuck closed.
Will it attempt to run if brake cleaner sprayed into inlet air?
Fuel pressure, inlet pipes all are good. When brake cleaner sprayed into inlet air it starts. If not it won’t.

Fuel pressure, inlet pipes all are good. When brake cleaner sprayed into inlet air it starts. If not it won’t.
What is the fuel rail pressure in BAR while cranking on starter motor?

Bad battery negative leads cause many problems. Add an extra lead between battery negative and vehicle body .

Back