General Punto 75SX Eratic Tickover

Currently reading:
General Punto 75SX Eratic Tickover

Baldrick

Hi

I've had a number of electrical problems with this car but it's running quite well at the moment.

EXCEPT: Every now and then it starts revving up on its own accord. The car starts and run ok but after driving for a while it takes it upon itself to vary between 1000 and 2500 revs. This looks and sound bad if you're stopped at traffic lights and even more so if you're waiting for someone walking across a zebra crossing. There is also an increase in fuel consumption.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

Rick

I have this problem too on my SX75, most embarassing when I was driving family in a funeral procession!. I've replaced the lambda sensor and swapped to a different computer to no good. I think it could be either the coolant temperature sensor or the idle control. Does the 'injector' light come on on the dash too?

he mines the same and also the fuel injection light comes on whenever it feels like it, the anly differance is mine is a 75ELX. help would be appreciated
thanx paul

I too am keeping an eye on this thread, not on my punto but the wifes xara.
I have searched the net for solutions but all I find is the problem seems to be quite common on a lot of cars but found nothing in the way of fixes.

The usual responses are ' replace this or that sensor ' then ' I've done that and still the same ' !

the xara has had the throttle body cleaned , idle control valve replaced , temp sensor replaced ,ecu reset.

Next will be the lambda sensor cos the front pipe had a leak recently and the problem became much worse, clue ?, ( higher more frequent revs ) but reverted back to the normal fault when the pipe was replaced.

I'll let you know if it cures it.

I have exactly the same issues.

Its bloody annoying.

I "had" the same problem with my last punto (punto mk1 selecta) the only time i really noticed it was when i came home and parked the car after been out driving for a few hours before i turned it off.. i never noticed it any other time though.
I thought it was just down to the car been warm and then stopping i dunno just my thoughts.
Hopefully my new punto wont do the same :)

Back