Technical Punto 75 - does it need inlet manifold waterway?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 75 - does it need inlet manifold waterway?

arc

this is where i stand
I'm gonig to cross post this in the cinq section too..

I will be fitting a Punto 75 fuel injection system to my Cinq. One of the problems is the lack of room, i've not got the parts yet but i'm pretty sure the water pipe will not clear the bulkhead.

This got me thinking, does it actually need a water supply going through the bottom of the manifold.

I've heard of carbs icing, and i know that Petes unheated throttle body on the turbo has been known to ice up - but on the MPI system there is no fuel injected until just before the port - so surely, no chance of it icing up back in the manifold? I'm doubting the newer plastic manifolds have water channels or are heated in anyway?

The pipe goes to the heater rad. Also you might head for problems (haven't got the proof because I never blocked it) the temp sender leading to constant overfueling the ECU believing it is in the cold running stage.

what i was going to do, was run the pipe past the manifold and connect it to the head where it should - but through a channel so that water temperature sensor is still in the loop, i realise it will still need that in place!

I carnt remember for certain but when i converted a 899cc to 1242 mpi using the manifold the water pipe wasnt an issue. At the worst an alloy elbow and your done.

yeah, adrian has just pointed out that it's the brake servo take off that fouls the bulkhead, not the waterpipe. I think that there would be a performence benefit from removing it as well though, i mean - who wants a heated inlet charge, the newer plastic manifolds arent heated are they?

arc said:
yeah, adrian has just pointed out that it's the brake servo take off that fouls the bulkhead, not the waterpipe. I think that there would be a performence benefit from removing it as well though, i mean - who wants a heated inlet charge, the newer plastic manifolds arent heated are they?

The 75 manifold hasn't got a water jacket.

yup just checked, no coolant water from the cyl head enters the inlet manifold, the 55 and 60 do though, but then they have like a carb with an injector;)

I reckon it keeps it warm enough just from the warm air from the exhaust manifold? (temp sensor is in the TB top bit)

Back