Technical Punto 55 SX Accelerator Probs

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 55 SX Accelerator Probs

Matt_Dawtry

Accelerator pedal problems...

In the first 20 mins (approx) of driving the car accelerates fine (i.e. depress pedal at any degree and car will accelerate according, and at the force that you would expect)

But then the accelerator starts acting strange - depress it first quarter and car increases speed as expected. But push pedal any further and instead of increasing speed, car looses revs, splutters, slows, and will not speed up!
But release pedal slightly, back to the first quarter, and acceleration comes back, but only gives you the power that is expected from first quarter of pedal - so I can't get up hills or go quicker than 2000rpm in any gear.
What is going on??

But if I pull up turn engine off, and then back on then car goes fine again - but only for a short period (5-10mins) and damn problem comes back again!

Any ideas to the source of the problem?

A long, long time ago, I had a Fiat Uno 60s (a Carburetor model) and at one point the vacuum advance hose split and the resulting engine performance was very similar to what you describe below.

Now, I'm not sure how the advance function is triggered on the modern engines with ECU, but there might still be a vacuum hose running from somewhere on the Inlet Manifold to the ECU. If there is, I suspect it will be black, rubber and about 6-8mm diameter. if you find such a thing, examine it closely to make sure it isn't split or leaking somehow.

It's an idea? But it might not be that. Maybe it's the coils - they seem to explaint lots of other engine performance issues!

Here come da judge...

Back