Technical Punto 2004 1.2 8v MOT

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 2004 1.2 8v MOT

Joeline88

Hi I don't know if anybody could help me but I've just had my car mot'd and it has came back with some advisories....

Rear shock bushes perished
Radiator corroded
Oil leak

I am a woman so don't want to get ripped off when going to get this sorted out...how much would this cost including VAT to get this fixed.

Please an someone get back to me ASAP.

Tar :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and WELCOME TO THE FORUM :wave:

Fortunately none of those are too serious. As they are only advisories, technically there is no need to get them done immediately. However best advice and safest would be to have them all sorted ASAP.

Rear shocks will need replacing. They are about £25 a side and should take no more than 1 hours labour provided nothing is seized or snaps.

If the radiator is corroded, non genuine rad will be around £50-£60 plus again around 1hr labour and the cost of new coolant and bleeding the system.

The oil leak will depend on where it is leaking from. Could be sump, rocker head cover, coil pack seal etc. Price will vary depending.

Just a rough guide, as prices will also depend on where in the country you are and what type of garage you go to.

Alan

Rear shocks can be cheap as chips and expensive as a pet donkey

EuroCarparts have shocks £17 per corner Rear
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/F...5f122fd77f1ee03d87d728eb3434f74890a6cf&000925

depending how the bottom bolts are.... it could be a 20minute do on a ramp
or days as the bolt snaps and they have to drill and tap the whole lot
or like i'd do - drill and just put a bolt and nut together for it...

----

The Radiator corrosion, could turn nasty, could be a weak spot and blow out the coolant when you need it the most
Run the risk or change it

Me personally? Winter is a killer on cars, the crap that'll fly into it, i'd risk it through winter and then change it before summer
But its a risk when it could blow out

----

The oil leak, is cheap to reasonable, but it really depends where it comes from... could be a rocker cover thats now leaking badly and dribbled all down the engine, could be a weaping oil filter who knows.... without looking or some pictures

Ziggy

Hi I don't know if anybody could help me but I've just had my car mot'd and it has came back with some advisories....

Rear shock bushes perished
Radiator corroded
Oil leak
Tar :)
my punto leaked oil all the time from rocker gasket - never failed on that - think they are being a bit over keen and just looking for work - anyway they are only advisories and as has been pointed out you dont need to get them done if you dont want and as long as they dont get to being a major problem will probably pass again next year, might even not get mentioned with another garage

Hi,

To be perfectly honest, I would avoid getting the parts you require from a scrap yard. Second hand shocks are a bit of a false economy, especially when new they arent that expensive for new after market ones

Again with a second hand rad you dont know if the previous owner has run it without coolant, or used radweld/ kseal etc, all of which could lead to a poor performing rad.

Alan

I am just looking at my options really thanks for all your answers I am basically getting a few quotes at the minute and I will let you know the outcome.

I think I got the "radiator corroded" warning about 7 years ago, for the first and last time. It wasn't.

but as s and b pointed out, you should get it checked. You don't want catastrophic loss of oil, or coolant.

I live in coventry

I read that earlier.;)

see where the oil leak is coming from,
the worst common one will be a rusty sump pain to change ( £100 job)

does it lose any coolant?,
radiator is a failry clean and stress fee job, again around 1 hour
( @ £100).

rear shocks,
as people say..could go well and be done in 40 mins / or could go badly and take 1/2 a day :cry:

NONE of these should be using 2nd hand parts, as you're paying good money for a "fit + forget" job,
you don't want it all doing again next MOT,

sort out hte oil + coolant leaks 1st,
if they fluid levels don't change much - then no HUGE rush..,
Charlie

I live in coventry
oh well someone has to
hate your bus station as well:D

with regards radiator this could pop at any moment,i had one a week ago no signs of leak went through mot ok we---ed like a baby when i got it back ,the leak was bottom right,saved the engine just in time from sure death:eek:

Hi just thought I'd let you know that I have been quoted

£44 + vat for rad
£24 + vat for shocks

I'm guessing its 24 each shock?

Is that any good or am I being ripped off?

Hi,

As SandB says they are fairly good prices, assuming thats for new parts and not for second hand ones off a scrap motor. Dont forget, like most things in life, you can always find parts cheaper on the internet, but the garage has to make a bit of money on the parts as well, not just the labour.

Alan

I am getting my car done on thursday how much is labour for each hour they got it?

Back