Technical Punto 2004 1.2 16v gearbox selectors

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 2004 1.2 16v gearbox selectors

Porkkanaraastin

Hi!

Recently we took the gearbox off of my 2004 1.2 16v Punto. We changed the clutch discs and friction plate. Then we put the box back in to the car.

Now we cant get 5. gear or reverse on using the stick :D I can get them on by manually changing gears from the gearbox. The selector cables look fine, we tested both of them.

The stick itself is weird. I can get gears 1,2,3 and 4 on, but the stick is sloppy and moves sideways when gear is on.

I believe the problem is that while we disconnected the selector cables, we took only the first one off from the ball joint. The latter one we left the ball joint in place and disconnected it from the bolt that sticks up from the gearbox :eek:
I have heard that the shifter (is it shifter?) might have moved to a faulty position. Apparently, this can be fixed by taking of the "plate" where the selector cables are mounted.

My car is in a garage few hundred km away and im going there to fix it in couple weeks. Is it true, that the problem is that the shifter has moved? Can that alone cause that the gearstick is floppy?

What about the bolt (shifter) that sticks out of the gearbox? When we move it, it can move via its axel about 45 degrees. It also can go down 1-2 cm. Is this normal or is it a sign that the shifter is in faulty position? Also, in the root of the bolt, there is a specific place where the selector cable can go (i dont know the correct word in english, its a position where the cable is "mounted" and it cannot move unless movement in gearstick). Apparently the cable should be in that place where it fits properly, but now we cant fit it without the gearstick being tight as hell...

Many thanks for any answers and help!

I love the site!

- Arto

take the cables back off
and then move the selectors on the gearbox so its in neutral gear position.
are you sure you put the clip back on the cable if not then the cable couid be moving causing the sloppy gears.

Yes, the clips have been in place every time we test it.

Next step is to take the plate off from the gearbox and make sure that the shifter is in right place (of course i hope it´s not).

P.S how do you know that the gearbox is in neutral position? Of course the actual shifter, that is on the back side of the box returns to the center point by itself.
But right now, the bolt, that is controlled by the other selector cable, is in a position, that i dont really know if its correct.

Hi,

Does anybody have pictures of an opened gearbox? I have few exploded view pictures from Vivid software, but real pictures are always better :)

So, pics or even videos?

Thanks all of you guys!

Back