General Punto 1.9 Multijet HGT Brake / wheel noise

Currently reading:
General Punto 1.9 Multijet HGT Brake / wheel noise

stevemcc1

Hi

Just recently I have noticed a high pitched squeak coming from my front drivers side wheel.

It tends to happen only at slow speeds or when turing the steering wheel slightly either way.
The squeak disappears when I apply the brakes.

On inspection (after driving) my front disc seems slightly warmer on this wheel than the rest.
Also the pads on the front wheels are actually touching the discs (at rest) but on the rear wheels there is a very slight gap between pad and disc.
Never having changed or even inspected brake pads before I do not know if it is normal for the pads to rest on the discs or if there should be a gap.

All the pads were fitted new earlier this year and discs appear ok.

The noise is driving me nuts so would be extremely grateful for any help anyone can offer.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi mate,

Its normal for the break pads to be physically touching the break disks when no pressure is being applied to the breaks. HOWEVER, as it feels warmer than the other side after driving, then it is possible that it could be binding slightly. You could strip the breaks down and check that you have a smooth movement when returning the piston into the calliper.

Another possibility is a wheel bearing that is on its way out.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the info.

I will get the wheel off and have a good look at the caliper etc as soon as this bloody rain stops.
Must admit this will be new territory for me though but I'm willing to try and perhaps learn something at the same time.

If it is the wheel bearing though, is it accessible so I can get some grease into it for the time being ?

Cheers
Steve

Back