Technical Punto 1.9 JTD year 2001 timing Belt

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.9 JTD year 2001 timing Belt

mariop1

hi
how difficult it is to change the timing belt on a Punto 1.9 JTD. i changed the belt in a tipo 1.9 td and in a punto mark1 1.2.
can someone point me to a guida to change the belt. how much should i pay for a mechanic to do it if to difficult.
thanks

Hi mate,

Its no more difficult than in most other cars, HOWEVER access is very limited!!!. Also if you have air-con its even worse :cry:. But there is nothing special about it that you wouldn't be able to do if you've changed cambelts before.
Obviously the JTD is an interference engine, so make sure that you get all the timing marks set up correctly.
Whilst the cambelt is off, its definately worth replacing the tensioners and the water pump.
Auxilery drive belt should also tecnically be replaced, although its up to you. It will have to come off to do the cambelt anyway. If there is any sideways movement in the aux drive belt automatic tensioner then replace that to.

Hope that helps,
Alan

thanks, what it worries me is that some people said that i have to lift thr engine to change the belt. can it be done without lift the engine and please can you give me some guide. so if i take the wheel and the plastic cover would i be able to take the timing belt cover off without lift the engine. your help will be much appriciated.

Back