Technical Punto 1.9 jtd 02... Heater Only works on speed 4 ?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.9 jtd 02... Heater Only works on speed 4 ?

yeh theres nothing on 1-4 both ways.

I guess i will have to get another resistor and see if that works and if it blows again then it must be the motor?
It does run mega fast on 4 tbh lol

if you know how to use the mutimeter in current mode (connecting it in line) and measure the current its drawing when in running position 4. That will give me some idea the state of the motor-

when using position 4 no resistor are in line (Direct) When using position 1,2 and 3 you are using the resitor pack and Position 1 runs through 3 resistors, position 2 runs through 2 resistors and position 4 runs through 1 resistor. Using a resistor drops the voltage to the motor but when you drop the voltage automatically the current rises so on position 1 tìit drawing max current.

If th motor is drawing to much current on position 4 (Direct) then adding in the resistors the current drawn is to much for the diode and its blowing.

Hope that helps

Im not that hot with multimeters as you have gathered lol, which setting on the multimeter is that and do i have to move the red/black pins?

yes you have to move the red probe to the current hole and the black remains in the common.
Then set the meter to 10 amps and connect the meter in line on one of the two wires going to the motor

Just to be clear.....The meter black pin on the motor wire, and red pin on terminal 4 of the resistor wiring, then switch on the fan at speed 4 for the reading??

Thanks.

according to my wiring diagram there is a grey\black wire going to the motor. you need to disconnect that and connect one probe to the wire and the other probe to the motor so the meter is an extension of the cable.

whats the best way to do that without cutting the grey/black wire?

There is also a blue wire that goes into the same connector as the gry/blk wire,wont it be difficult to put it back afterwards?

Last edited:
if you can wait till tomorrow eve ill send you some diagrams and also test mine so we have a reading to compair.

Heres a diagram which i hope makes sense showing how each speed setting works

Attachments

• Heater Blower .pdf
    294.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi,
Great diagrams,makes things alot clearer thanks,

Speed 4 goes from the switch straight to the motor and the other 3 speeds go through the resistor aswell.

Hence why u have a classic resistor pack failure

Speed 4 is bypassing the pack

Ziggy

Yeah (y) and now all i need to figure out is why when replaced it still blows the diode.
Either the blower motor or speed switch is faulty as they the only things left on that connection which keeps taking out the resistor.
All the wiring & connector blocks from the resistor to the motor look fine etc.

Whats the best method to test the motor is working correctly? and the speed switch?

Thanks all.

Yeah (y) and now all i need to figure out is why when replaced it still blows the diode.
Either the blower motor or speed switch is faulty as they the only things left on that connection which keeps taking out the resistor.
All the wiring & connector blocks from the resistor to the motor look fine etc.

Whats the best method to test the motor is working correctly? and the speed switch?

Thanks all.

3 tests i would do
1 - Resistance test - make sure its not stupid reading
2 - Hand spin, check for binding
3 - Power it up outside the car

Tbh the motors rarly fail, nore does the switch, but can fail in extreme cases

i still think its the resistor pack, the diode ontop may not be incorrect = blow again
The resistance inside the little pack may be too high = Excess heat = Blows

Ziggy

When i bought the new resistor which ive give the link to in a previous post here, i did wonder if it was the correct one with it blowing the diode so quick?
Are there different resistors for each punto make?maybe it just needs the correct resistor fitted and it will be sorted lol.If i get another and it blows again we then know its not the resistor but then its a waste of cash finding that out.

Im not great with multimeters but with guidance i can manage it as im not sure best way to do a resistance test without chopping wires to get in the circuit.

Other than that i will take out the motor and have a look at the condition and see what it runs like powered up.

Thanks again.

When i bought the new resistor which ive give the link to in a previous post here, i did wonder if it was the correct one with it blowing the diode so quick?
Are there different resistors for each punto make?maybe it just needs the correct resistor fitted and it will be sorted lol.If i get another and it blows again we then know its not the resistor but then its a waste of cash finding that out.

Im not great with multimeters but with guidance i can manage it as im not sure best way to do a resistance test without chopping wires to get in the circuit.

Other than that i will take out the motor and have a look at the condition and see what it runs like powered up.

Thanks again.

Multi-meter set to Ohms, remove fan connector - touch the 2 pin inside the fan housing connection part and get a reading

I find it easier to use the cars power instead of a power probe for example :) - just becareful as it spins with vengance, and will kick due to air and power - espically on speed 4....

Fingers are a must to be kept well away

Ziggy

Back