Technical Punto 1.9 jtd 02... Heater Only works on speed 4 ?

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.9 jtd 02... Heater Only works on speed 4 ?

Mark Two

Hi all im new to the forum:slayer:

The heater would only work on the 4 speed setting so with help from this forum i easily changed the resistor for a brand new one, it then worked on all speed settings 1-4 abeit slightly slower than what i expected with just a trickle of air for setting 1 etc but each setting worked.I switched the heater off and when i next wanted some warmth i turned the knob to 1 setting and it wouldnt work then 2,3 wouldnt work but came on 4?? so back to only working on 4 ?:bang:

Any help would be appreciated in sorting this out thanks all.

Hey,

I sounds like the resistor pack may have come loose or the pins aren't making a good connection. I'd check the pin quality and try reseating it.

When only speed 4 is working it suggests the resistor pack because speed 4 bypasses the pack to achieve the max speed whereas the other speeds go via the pack through different values of resistance.

Last edited:
Hey Grape,
The block itself looks ok and not burnt etc but i sprayed the connector block with wd40 and clipped the resistor back in making sure i bent the 4 block connector metal contacts for a snug fit but still no joy?
Still only works on speed 4?Maybe a duff resistor?(although this was brand new one).

Ive got a multimeter to hand but just need to know how to use it correctly lol

Whats the best approach from here?

Thanks again for your help.

Hey,

Sounds a little strange. If you set your multimeter to resistance (a low setting as this will only be a couple of ohms) and check the values of resistance across the terminals. If you stick the black wire on pin 4 and the red on pin 3 you should see the lowest resistance (speed 3) then move the red to pin 2 (speed 2) and finally to pin 1 (speed 1). With each move you should see and increase of resistance.

Use this diagram to help:

Hi Grape,
I tested the terminals on the resistor and with the multimeter black wire on 4 i got 0.3 with red wire on 3 , 0.4 on 2 and nothing on 1?
Im getting the same readings on the block connector terminals aswell.

Thanks again.

Ive done searches before i started this thread but all i saw was posts for changing the resistor when heater only works on speed 4, not problems once a new one is fitted.

Could you point me in the right direction as ziggy has no posts listed?

Thanks.

Hi all,
Thanks for the links, i checked all connections from the motor to the resistor and it looks visually fine no burning/melting.
I tested the different speeds on the resistor and the wiring block, with the meter set to 200ohm scale i got 3.0ohms on speed 3 , 4.0ohms on speed 2 ,and nothing on speed one,in fact it makes the meters screen go blank when i touch with red pin.

Also i disconnected the motor connector and tested each terminal on the resistor wiring and set to 20v on the meter i got -12.4v on all 3 speeds.

And on the 200ohm scale it read -75.0 on each speed then drops slowly ,74.9,74.8 etc

When the fan is switched on 4 it does sound slightly squeaky abeit blows fast and works ok.

Im not sure what to make of them readings although it giving out readings on the minus scale dont look great:eek: and im stumped what to look for next?:confused:

Thanks for your help.

Using the diagram attached disconnect the resistor pack and do a ohms test between the following pins.

pin 1 - 2 = ???
Pin 1 - 3 = ???
pin 1 - 4 = ???

If you get no reading from pins 1 - 4 invert the probes because there is a diode in the resistor pack

The reason you get a neg voltage reading is because the +ve goes direct to the motor and the -ve goes via resistor pack if you invert the probes on the meter you will get a positive.

let me know ohms readings for the resistor pack

Attachments

• heater.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 67
Hi,
just disconnnected & tested the resistor, Pin 1 - 2 = 03.0 ohms
Pin 1 - 3 = 04.0 ohms
Pin 1 -4 = nothing/dead

Thanks for your help.

did you invert the probes on the multimeter and try pins 1- 4 again ??? if so and you still get nothing the diode inside the resistor pack to shot and thats why it work only on srtting 4 cause that does not pass through the diode its dircet to the motor

yeah when i invert them i get nothing at all on each pin.I take it that it should read 05.0 or similar if it was ok?

I bought the resistor brand new and it worked when i first plugged it in.

I wonder if they gave me an incorrect resistor?,There are numbers on the resistor but different number on the box strangely??
This is the one a bought off ebay...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271287069538?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

its either that or somethings taking out the new resistor when replaced.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I wonder if the motor is drawing to much current and blowing the diode thats why the new one worked for a while ????

pin 1-4 should be th highest reading as its passes through all the resistors inside the resistor pack

they said their resistor pack has been replaced / exchanged..??

I had this problem since i first bought the car about month ago where it would only work on speed 4.

I replaced the resistor with a brand new one and it worked on 1,2,3,4.So i threw the old one in the bin.Next time i wanted some heat which was about an hour later i noticed it wasnt working on 1,2,3 and only worked on speed 4 again.

so it seems it was either a faulty/incorrect resistor i bought or something is blowing the fuse once replaced.

in the picture of the resistor pack you brought at the top i think thats the diode connect acroos pins 1 - 4 try the meter on ohms across that diode bothways (Invert the probes) that will confirm the diode has gone.

you said the motor was squeaky
I think thats your problem its drawing to much current and blowing the diode

Back