General punto 1.7 td overheating

Currently reading:
General punto 1.7 td overheating

tonygreenall

i have had my punto now for about a year when this year i went to my wifes sisters wedding in skegness, when we where about 8 miles away from the hotel the red light came on in the car i then promptly stopped and checked under the bonnet to find steam coming out of the filler cap, i then gently removed the filler cap to release the pressure, then let it cool for 10 mins then filled it back up again it managed to get us to the hotel, when coming back home the same thing happened 5 times i was not loosing water, it was just bubbling over like the engine was not cooling the water down, i have had it to my mates who did a chemical check on it and apparently he said the head gasket had gone, i checked the thermostat housing when i got back to find there was not one in it, id ont think this has any bearing why it overheated, i changed the rediater whe i got back because i thought it was a bit susspect when i took it out it dropped to bits, so as i said i changed the rad i still seem to be getting the same problem, i want to know for sure if it is the head gasket or the water pump, i was told that a chemical heck on a diesel and a petrol are diffrent, the chemical check on a diesel is not as conclusive as it is on a pertol, my punto has done 86000 and i know i have not changed the water pump, something as well i had had an airlock witch i could not get shut off, this may help in resolving my problem i just want to sort it cheers.

well if chemicla check suggests head gasket that i would be inclined to go with that.

sayingthat any airlock could casue over heating if you dont get rid of it. also make sure themostat is working there is one somewere and also tyhat the fan is cutting in ?

from my experience of head gasket failure (driving with one gone for 6 months lol) the car would only tend to over heat when stationary as the massive air flow comming in from front at speed would keep it cool but as soon as i would stop it over heated. soooo make sure fan is wokring

the car only overheats when i go on long journeys when i run about local it does not overheat, is it a safe bet to change the waterpump before removing the headgasket, i dont know whether the waterpump is anygood other than taking it out, is it A SAFER BET TO CHANGE THE WATERPUMP AND THEN SEE WHAT HAPPENS, AS FAR AS THE THERMOSTAT THERE IS NOT ONE IN IT IT HAS BEEN REMOVED FOR SOME REASON.
APPARENTLY I WAS TOLD THAT A CHEMICAL CHECK ON A DIESLE IS NOT AS CONCLUSIVE AS IT IS ON PETROLS, AS THERE ARE MORE GASSES IN THE WATER ON A DIESEL THAN IN A PETROL.

Back