Technical Punto 1.2 8v non starting

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.2 8v non starting

Mreasto

Hi all,
I acquired a low mileage '53' plate 1.2 8v Punto last September. I don't use the car very often and mileage is 54,600.
The car has performed very well and went for a drive on Sunday morning with my youngest son who is needs some driving practice before retaking his driving test.
When we tried to start the car in the afternoon, the car would not start.
I have looked into it this morning and the amber OEBD symbol remained illuminated. I can hear the fuel pump operating and the fuel gauge is just below full. The car still would not start although once it turned over but then quickly died.
Any suggestions on what to look at to try and cure this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum :)

Whereabouts in the country are you? The codes need to be read to find out why the EML is on, and hopefully someone local with a copy of MultiECUScan will be able to come and read them for you. Or, of course, you can get a copy yourself if you have a laptop and the appropriate cables (y)

Hi,
I am based in Derby.
Thanks
Im too far away
But when cranking
What are you getting?
Can you see the engine speed pickup as your cranking?
Has the car got fresh fuel?
The rail be airlocked - you can release the pressure(and some fuel will spray out as well) by pressing the schrader like valve

Is the battery fully charged?
Nice fast crank speed?
The check engine light wont go off till the engine starts.....
Is the immbiliser light also going out?
Tried priming the fuel pump several times (key on and key off)?
Ziggy

Hi All,
Thanks for the responses received - much appreciated.
I can confirm that the car operated without problem in the morning and then would not start in the afternoon. There was some high revving and stalling as my son got used to the clutch but I would not expect this to affect the engine.

I have downloaded the free multiecuscan software - should I go for '99 or '03 version as the car is around the change point? How can I tell which one to use?
I will also connect a suitable cable to OBD2 connector under the internal fuse box to obtain error codes. I presume I can obtain suitable ones off ebay that are suitable for Fiats.

The tacho did not show any speed when cranking but the fuel pump operated when I turned the ignition.
Can you advise where the Schraeder like valve is so I can remove any airlocks in the fuel system?

The immobiliser light was not lit and I will charge the battery and try starting it again later. The battery is only a few months old.

Should I suspect the ignition system and order new coil packs/ignition leads?
Thanks

99 is 99 -03 mk2 (narrow headlights)

03 - 06 is mk2b (bigger teardrop style headlights and boot reflectors)

On the software

------

No increase on the tacho when cranking is a sign of a missing crank signal
Id check for a presense of a spark on cyl1 to confirm
If no spark present - id take a huge stab and wack a crank sensor on it

-----

The fuel rail valve is on the driver side, between ht lead for cyl1 and injector no1
Often has a black plastic cap on it

Itll spray fuel!!!! Be aware!!!

-----

Hth

Ziggy

Last edited:
Regarding a cable for fiats, try this one.
Purchased one myself recently, and works a treat on my 53 plate Punto, and also on my 55 plate multipla, with multiecuscan. (using the free version):)
(Actually works with fiats and multiecuscan, and also seller offers help if problems)
Rapid delivery too!!

/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-ALFA-VAG-USB-OBD2-DIAGNOSTIC-LEAD-SWITCH-ECU-AIRBAG-ABS-MULTIECUSCAN-UK/272049787192?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Hope this helps..

Update from today.
I have now connected an ECU diagnostic cable and computer and the following error codes were detected which have activated the dashboard warning light.
P0335 - RPM sensor
P0500 - Vehicle speed signal.
Would these error codes be present as I did not attempt to crank the engine?

Do I need to repeat this with trying to start the engine with the ECU diagnostic cable and computer attached?
I really do not want to damage my computer from electrical spikes when attempting to start.
Thanks

Back