General Punto 1.2 8v Active Sport

Currently reading:
General Punto 1.2 8v Active Sport

tomll7

I bought a punto 1.2 active sport '52' plate around 4 months ago and have been having constant problems with it which has cost me quite a bit and im not very knowledged with cars so i never know what is wrong until i get it to a garage and end up out of pocket! Ive already had to get a brand new head gasket and can belt 2 months ago and again today the ecu light came on and has stayed on all day. The engine constantly jumps and vibrates and is very noisy, could anyone help me by telling me what could possibly be wrong before i take it to the garage as I am short of cash at the moment! any feedback would be great! Thanks,

Tom

p.s im new to this so im not sure if ive dne this properly

fault Code

i hate it when people replace the ECU without checking what is actually wrong with it!

the Ecu has detected a fault, replaced the ECU just means the new ecu will pick the same fault back up = back at square one!!!

been Rough running, i'm going on the assumption its Coil/HT/spark related, and needs addressing
a Fault Code will probably be there tho
If there all clear - i'd be checking injectors just incase one has failed
Again fault code should pick that up for you
Timing Belt Slipped = Not quiet in sync, dont worry the 8v is a Safe engine, no piston to valve mating, But means the mechanic did a poor job
Knock Sensor will probably picking this up for you as well

fault code - get back - could save you some money
Ziggy

i keep reading posts about timing belts slipped

ive never seen this ive seen belts lose their teeth on start up ive seen belts break during running but never jump on a cooking engine like a 8 valve punto
of course if someone push started a car with a timing belt it could well jump a tooth but i advised against doing that ages ago:)

I can't see why push starting a car would be any more likely to cause a timing belt to slip than using the starter motor.

I'd check the ignition side (the old start it in the dark, look for blue flashes under the bonnet trick) before faffing around with the injectors, although it's worthwhile seeing if some dork has broken one at the connector.

Try and identify which cylinder is misfiring.

Back