Technical Punto 1.2 16v

Currently reading:
Technical Punto 1.2 16v

dtm

Hello all,

My mothers Punto is misfiring quite badly. The ECU doesn't really show any errors, but at times the MIL does flash.
I'm inclined to think the cambelt is off, and was wondering how can i know that, since i don't think there are any marking on the cam or crank.

I know how to change the belt, but don't know how to check if the crank and cam are out of sync.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Already checked the plugs and leads. All looks good.

The car is 16years old, about 110000km and has never had a cambelt change.
Very poor maintenance in my mothers part, neglect really.

I know the procedure to cambelt change, and know of the 3 "special tools" required. How to check if crank and cam don't match, i know, I just don't know how to get them to sync back up.

Where or what can I align the crank to, to set the cam. That is the information I need.

Thanks,

ok,

Thanks.

Any answers regarding the timing?

Regards,

Hi,

That I already knew. The car in not in sync. The crank does not match the cam. Cylinder 1 and 2 don't match, like you see in the video. Cylinder 1 seats lower then 2 when cam is locked.

What I need to know is how to sync crank and cam so cylinders match

Hi,

That I already knew. The car in not in sync. The crank does not match the cam. Cylinder 1 and 2 don't match, like you see in the video. Cylinder 1 seats lower then 2 when cam is locked.

What I need to know is how to sync crank and cam so cylinders match

There is a guide here which many people here have said is completely rubbish but I have used a method like that on the punto 1.2 16V many times without problems. You do not absolutely need the special tools. There is a trick to enable you to tighten the belt correctly without undoing the camshaft sprocket. The trick is when the engine is lined up with all 4 pistons level on the intake stroke and the cam is locked (10mm allen key is ok for that if you are careful) and the tensioner is released. you need to rotate the crankshaft anticlockwise two teeth (of the sprocket that drives the camshaft sprocket via the belt). ***you then fit the belt as tightly as you can (on the water pump side) just using one pair of hands***. The belt will be loose on the tensioner side. Then while the belt is kept with a bit of tension so the belt cannot slip on the water pump side, you turn the crankshaft clockwise to fully tighten the belt on the water pump side. (When you have turned the crankshaft almost two teeth clockwise to tighten the belt the camshaft will begin rotating but that does not matter. You then have to tension the belt on the tensioner side by winding up the tensioner. After you tighten the tensioner you then check the timing is correct by rotating the engine clockwise two turns until the timing tools can be refitted and the pistons are correct. You only need to lock the exhaust cam.

Remove the cam locking tool before you begin turning the crankshaft clockwise or you are going to bend something somewhere.

Many people have said you cannot do it this way but obviously it can be done and there is no question the belt is properly tightened.

Last edited:
Back