General Punctured Outer CV Gaitor, replace Gaitor or New Driveshaft ?

Currently reading:
General Punctured Outer CV Gaitor, replace Gaitor or New Driveshaft ?

AyLa

Outer CV Gaitor / Boot has a puncture so tempted to replace the whole driveshaft ~£60 from eurocarparts vs messing about with Gaitor / Boot.

I'm not sure repacking with grease + using bicycle puncture repair kit will pass an MOT.

Any thoughts / recommended steps ?

Thanks

Last edited:
A few people here have run into serious problems when trying to refit a driveshaft. I have done it on my car many times and sometimes it is just a mother to get the thing to go in the final amount to click in place - but it gets easier with practice. I dont think i would ever leave the cup in the gearbox and go thru the hassle of having bags for the ends and then resealing the inner joint

So taking half the driveshaft off by leaving the gearbox end in place and replacing the outer boot might actually be sensible - but you will have to reseal the outer and inner boots.

Alternatively if you get a new shaft then you will have to put the new driveshaft into the gearbox and have to get the driveshaft out. Getting the driveshaft out can be problematic if you cannot raise the car sufficiently high and/or you dont see how to hit the long shaft from the other side under the exhaust using a long screwdriver and hammer.

The forum is full of people who have struggled before or after removing the cup from the gearbox

If you could use a puncture repair kit that would be wonderful but it sounds like a fantasy

Last edited:
I used rubber repair adhensive to repair mine. Bought used CVs and there was about an inch crack on outer boot, maybe from screwdriver. Then I applied some sikaflex 221 over it just in case. Of course you need to degrease it with brake cleaner or similar. No problems since :)

I recommend to change the whole cv axle. First time I left original cups to gearbox and those worn out after three years, constant shaking on higher speeds. Felt like wheels out of balance. Got mine out with two pry bars

Back